(Godsmack) Tony Rombola's amp set up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Luke Gibson, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

I just finished watching the Godsmack Direct TV Freeview and it rocked!!!!I just want to know specifically what amps Tony is using lately. I'm and old school rocker but want to kick it up with something simular for a Hi-gain amp for that tone! ....so please help a brother out. Thanks for the help!!!

2. jcj

jcj Member

Pretty sure they use Splawn.

I know there are Splawn guys here who could shed more light.

3. philnz

philnz Member

I think they've ditched the Rectos for Splawn Quickrods & Diezel Herberts

4. Luke Gibson

Thanks guys, more details! I'm 44 and stuck in a rut musicially and playing band wise, I have a bunch of old Marshall's that sound great but they don't BREATH FIRE like the amps I heard tonight, some of the best heavy tone I've ever heard and I gotta get on board. I WANT A FIRE BREATHER and what ever it takes..... so help me out, what kind of cabs and speakers? This was a Great Show I am blown away by the sound both Sully & Tony were gettin' I've heard Diezel & Splawn, give me more details please........ Thanks!

5. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I had the opportunity to speak with Tony this past tour, and he played the splawn quick rod and diezel's. I asked if he missed his MESA's and he smiled, in a good way because he can't really diss his current amps, but said he likes the Quick Rod and diezel blended.

I have tried the deizel and the quick rod, and I'll keep my Mesa!

6. Luke Gibson

I don't see or hear how the Mesa's could sound any better, there was such tone defination, not sure I've ever heard the with Recto's......

7. philnz

philnz Member

Listen to the Godsmack IV album, particularly the 1st two tracks "Livin in Sin & Speak". THATS got Deizel Herbert written all over it:drool.

8. OneL

OneL Member

Tony has now dropped the Diezel as well and is playing a Splawn Nitro in its place.

Here's a pic of his latest amp;

[​IMG]

9. Crikey

Crikey Member

Interesting. I dug Speak on the radio, and would have guessed that was a Recto series tone. But I'm even older than Luke, and not up on the last few decades of high gain developments. I think I should pick up that CD, though. Thanks for the reference!

Crikey

10. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

that's actually not his latest splawn stuff. i know he's got a white QR, Nitro, and matching cabs now.

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

sully uses a recto.

Get a recto, specifically a roadster and start with 6;6's and then get KT 77's:D

12. Luke Gibson

I thought Sully's sound was exellent also! I noticed it looked like they were both using Mesa Cabs (probably V30's?)

How's the Roadster sound?

13. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The cab is a metal grill MESA with V30's (I know this because I asked), and he uses the dual rec. He has a LINE 6 modeler on the floor.

I like the Roadster. It gets back to what made the 2 channels special, and is very versatile.

I had a Trem-o-verb that I regret selling, and have owned the road king, rect-o-verb, dual rec (3 channel) and the roadster. I like the roadster best as I can do 50 or 100 watts. It has 6l6's in there now and its nice, but will go back to EL 34's or KT 77's

14. hevechvy

hevechvy Member

hey, i just saw the mayhem tour at raleigh nc, and the only amp visable through the back stage drop was a diezel. and i was looking hard cause i wanted to know how he got that heavy sound. godsmack blew disturbed off the stage and, up until then, disturbed was my favorite group.

15. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

My last band actually got to open up for them on the IV tour three or four years ago and he had a quickrod\herbert rig going on with the usual Les Pauls. Sounded really, really good. I'm personally not a big fan of the Diezel sound but mixing that low mid chunk with the quickrod's Marshall snarl really makes for a big wall of sound for a primarily one guitar band. With the pa they had on the tour even my lowly JSX\genz benz rig I used sounded freaking massive though :)

_Shane

16. torajiro

torajiro Member

I know this is the amp forum, but what kind of guitar is that? Any idea on pickups?

17. peterdjp

peterdjp Member