1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Goin' Thru Distortion Boxes like.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IluvRock&Roll, Sep 29, 2006.

1. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Man, I'm getting tired of the 'search' for a good distortion box. I've tried so many and keep comin' up empty handed. Perhaps you can help.

What I play:

Am. Strat w\Fralin Blues Special pups > Keeley Compressor > Keeley Java Boost > Fulltone OCD > EH Deluxe Memory Man > Fender Deluxe Reverb RI w\ Celestion Speaker.

What I've tried:

Modded Boss DS 1's, Modded MT2's, Fulltone DS Pro, Keeley Fuzz Head, etc...

What I'm looking for:

A Creamy, thick, musical distortion pedal that picks up where the OCD Leaves off. I like the ZZ Top, Foghat, Led Zep, 60's & 70's Rock tones.

What's your suggestion with a limit of around $200? :eek:

2. drolling

drolling Member

I'm more of a lo-med-gainer myself, and I've no experience w/OCD, but the MI Audio CrunchBox turns my cleanish blackface into a dimed Marshall stack. It's by far the *gainiest* pedal in my extensive collection - works great w/single-coils, too, and it's a little over a hundred bucks..

Players who's opinions I trust speak glowingly of the Pro Analogic Gain Fxxker. I've heard clips & can't imagine needing more distortion than this baby puts out..

3. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Thanks, I was just looking at the MI Audio Crunchbox. The GT-350 looks to be a winner also.

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

MI Audio Tube Zone or Crunch Box.:AOK

5. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hey man, I'm feeling the same way. I've decided to use my amps more and forget about the pedal ratrace. I've blown big money on some fancy pedals that gave me the same sound as my amp turned up. The only advantage is that I can get those sounds at a more reasonable volume and I get them at the click of a switch. That's all good and well, but you don't need to waste hundreds for that. I have a pedalboard, it's as good as any board out there, and the "final 2%" of tone is not going to happen. I've spent long enough searching and now I REALLY don't believe it gets much better: SIB Varidrive. If you can get one used, the 1/2 power switch is great and under $200. Switch tubes for slight adjustments.

6. el34power

el34power Member

Again I'll put in a vote for MI audio..Crunch box or tube zone

7. dave s

dave s Member

I'll +4 the MI Audio Crunch Box. And heck, for the money if it doesn't work (and I'd be surprised if it didn't) you can flip it here fast.

I went through quite a few as well and some of the very same pedals that didn't do it for you. The Crunch Box gets it done.

dave

8. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Hey, Thanks for the reminder. My amp sounds great cranked; but I can't leave it that way for long. I'm basically a Living Room Juke Box hero' type player so a pedal for distortion at lower vol's is a must. Please elaborate: what is a SIB Varidrive? Can you provide a link?

Thanks again!:eek:

9. JohnMS

JohnMS Member

I'd seriously recommend you check out the blisteringly wonderful pedals from Differential Audio Manifestationz (D*A*M) and the supreme Okko Diablo.

www.stompboxes.co.uk (DAM)

www.stompbox.de (Okko)

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

used, Barber Burn Unit.... or an MI crunch box...... or if you can find one Love Pedal used to make one for that type of sound. Black Magic maybe, I can't remember.

Burn unit will nail that though I think. But sound clips are on the site www.barberelectronics.com Tough to describe that sound. If you need new the Small Fry might suit you but the EQ is more flexible.
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/burnunit.html

From DAM you might look at the Sonic Titan.

11. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have been down this road a little bit myself. In the end, IMO, high gain pedals always sound like pedals. If your amp sounds good cranked, I say buy an attenuator and crank it. Attenuators alter your amps tone somewhat, but to me they sound better than pedals. Besides, 60's and 70's rock didn't use that much gain really. An OCD would be WAY more than enough, if the amp were helping. And an attenuator would let your amp do some of the work and not wake the neighbors. Otherwise why even have a tube amp? Put those tubes to work!

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Zvex Box of rock maybe? I am getting one soon. MI crunch box is worth a try for 110 bux. Tons of gain though (for humbuckers).

13. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I agree that pedals always sound like pedals and don't give up the complexity and immediacy of an overdriven amp.

But there are magical combinations of pedals/clean amps that come along.

In any case, I am a low gainer myself so this may not have enough gain for you, but you should try to find an old menatone blue collar. Very raunchy with plenty of gain on tap. I keep the gain at 9 oclock and it's plenty juicy for me. It still sounds like a pedal but I have not found a more visceral, more fun pedal than this one.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

ReezaFRATzitz would actually do a very good job, as would the Tube Zone. They are touted as high-gainers, but are both much more versatile than that.

Re: the Box of Rock. I know the original poster wanted something to pick up "where the OCD left off"... the BoR is a killer pedal... absolutely killer... but it does NOT have a lot of gain in it. If you wanted to stack the BoR with the OCD, that could get you there.

Then again, you mention the classic rock tones of the 60's and 70's, and the BoR could do that for sure. Just be aware that it isn't a high gain pedal, and has less gain available than the OCD.

-Ben

15. gooma

gooma Member

Another vote for the TubeZone and Crunchbox, heck for the $$ you could get both.

The tubezone has a ton of different sounds lurking in there, for the music you`ve described i`d be suprised if you didnt really dig it.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I'd look at the MJM London Fuzz or Analogman Sunface Fuzz. The MJM sounds awesome from the clips, this would probably be the one I'd get if I was fuzz shopping.

17. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Hey, Guys & Gals,
    i really appreciate the thoughts and help. I've had some time to tweak the Keeley Fuzz Face with the Java Boost and the OCD and am beginning to get some satisfactory distortions. It's just that, with the Fuzz Face on alone or with the Java, It sounds terrible. I don't think these two get along with each other even though they came out of the same shop! I'm really diggin the OCD. It's a keeper. Just sent a PM on a Crunch Box, so I might be giving it a try next week.

18. Miles

Miles Member

This is why I started buying amps that have a good OD channel.

However, Zvex Fuzz Factory, a standard or modded RAT, or a Fulltone OCD come to mind first as favorites that you may want to give a whirl.

19. erksin

erksin Member

I've heard some clips of the Catalinbread SCOD that were really, really nice...

20. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Thanks; Just ordered a Crunch Box. Gonna give it a try!