Goin' to Nashville...Any good amp stores?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, Jul 17, 2008.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I'm interested in finding some Boutique amps (Komet, D13, Fuchs, etc.). Anybody know the area? Also, hoping there's a guitar store that stocks the Gretsch Billy-Bo. I'm dyin' to play one since I watched BFG play one on VH1.

Cheers,

KHAN.

2. gsf

gsf Member

TravisE on the money - Just call them both to see what's in stock. Corner keeps more units of their brands on hand. Rock Block has a decent booteek pedal stock. Superior Music in Mt. Juliet (east of town) has Two Rock. World Music in Bellevue has 65 AMps, Port City, Tone King, ARK several others. All 4 independent owners. World has tons of fender, boogie, marshall, etc.

3. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

There are some good stores in Nashville, such as Rock Block or Corner Music. However, be prepared for attitude. I have had MUCH better service buying online from reputable companies such as Fat Sound Guitars & Guitar Rez (resurection) in TX.

You will not get any service or warm welcomes at the nashville stores...

STS
    www.soultostrings.com

4. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

I was just down there two days ago and stopped in Rock Block....no attitudes. I tried out a few Rienhardts and they knew I wasn't buying. Talked to the amp tech about sending my 18 watt (modded old Traynor) down for some tweaking. He's a Marshall nut and was very cool. We talked for a long time about amps.

5. rrhea

rrhea Member

:) What is the deal with that? I mean, it's the same here in Memphis. I drop about $30K on gear every year and almost none of it goes to the independents because I refuse to be treated like a 14 year old back in the 80's when I actually didn't have any money and just wanted to take down an expensive guitar and play it.

These idiots are just lucky they're still in business if you ask me.

RR

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

well... I live here and thats not my experience at all

7. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I can't think of the last really bad experience I had in Nashville as far as music retail is concerned... unless you count Guitar Center.

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    All of the shops I go into in Nashville have always been pleasant to deal with, and this was before I ever decided to buy anything.

TheGrooveking

9. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm in nashville...Rock Block and Corner have always been great, and very easy to deal with.

10. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

The shops I've been in have all been good (the local ones)... Rock Block and Corner, like these guys have mentioned. I've also had pleasant experiences at Gruhn... even when I'm 'just looking' and happen to play the mandocello (circa 1940, if I remember correctly). I've only been in the area for a couple of years, and a couple of guys mentioned some shops I haven't visited yet... glad I stopped by here!

11. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Rock Block guys have been good to me.. they willingly handed over any boutique pedals I wanted to try.. and didnt hoard over me as I was trying out amps in the back.. they basically left me alone to test out whatever I wanted... WHICH I LOVE!!!

I hate the guitar center kids that stand right on top of you & say stuff like "So you want me to pack that up?"

12. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

The only gear shop in Nashville I have ever found with attitude was Gruhn Guitars.

But they do have some killer guitars..

On the other hand they should be considering the price... :(

13. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Maybe they have changed, but I side with rrhea on this subject.

When I lived in nashville, those shops had attitudes even though I could buy their store.

Rock Blocks inventory was always amazing. Interesting to hear others thoughts on the nashville stores. Does the gibson shop still carry valley arts axes?

14. gsf

gsf Member

If you're in Nashville, they're worth the time, if you need to play/hear any of the mentioned amps. If not, pass, and wonder if somebody might have been mean to you.

15. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

We're in Nashville, never really had a problem at any store, and Todd at Corner Music has always been helpful.

16. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I was just in Nashville late last month. Stopped by both Corner and Rock Block. My experience was very positive. Nice and helpful. I actually liked Corner music a little better. Maybe because I have a nice store in town that carries most all of the pedals Rock Block has. They do have a nice amp selection, but you might want to bring your own guitar as their selection of guitars was very minimal. I would also stop by GC, which, was actually decent I thought. I wanted to stop by Cotton Music, but couldn't find parking and didn't realize where it was when I ate at the Pancake Pantry :(

On a side note, I understand how experiences differ. I have been in a few stores before where they weren't very helpful and when you try to strike a deal they are offended. Or they don't even bother helping you.

That's usually why I buy online for most stuff. I can get the price I wan't and I don't have to try to "bargain" with the store to get a fair price that I can get online with no tax and free shipping. I understand there is something to be said about trying before you buy, but a lot of these companies have great return policies.

17. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I lived down there for over ten years. I never got much attitude. People have bad days so if I do get it I usually dont take it personal.

Like everyone has said. Rock Block and Corner are great.

But I'd like to throw in believe it or not Guitar Center. I dont buy there but sometimes they have some nice amps roll through their "private room" so you can try out some cool amps from time to time.

Also World Music in Bellvue is not bad either. They had some Z stuff, Top Hat, Boogie, and Ark last time I was in there.

18. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

19. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

They were the ones with the attitudes?

20. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Not my experience at all either. I find all kinds of different people and opinions but that's what I enjoy!