Going amp crazy. Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brandnewzo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

So lately I've been gassing for a new amp. I've currently got a Silverface Twin Reverb and a Vox AC-15c1 that I run in stereo. It sounds great, but I'm still finding myself wanting a handwired AC-30 and a Roland JC-120 really bad. Thing is, I'd probably have to sell off the amps I've already got to afford the ones I want, and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle. What would you do?

2. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I'd probably spend tons of time visiting several forums like this one, dreaming about new gear and drive myself nuts in he process. Eventually you will get the amps you want without having to sell what you've got. Just be patient, start saving and enjoy what you have now until you get enough cash. In the mean time just keep checking in here 24 times a day so you never forget what amp it was you wanted.

3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

Listen to Keith. He's obviously a Bauce

4. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

I've been saving up for a while now. It's not like just yesterday I decided I wanted these two amps. I guess I just don't know if I should give up what I have now to help speed up the process or not. Also, I don't know if I need 4 amps sitting around and was wondering what someone else might do in this situation.

5. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Buy! Buy! Buy! Sell! Sell! Sell!

No... really... "It sounds great..." well, there you go...

One must ask... why are you "...wanting a handwired AC-30 and a Roland JC-120 really bad."? Have you played that setup? Or is it just something that you think would sound better than you're current "sounds great" setup? And if you have played that setup, did you take note of what speakers were in the amps? And tubes (in the AC30 anyway...). My experience is this: sound results from A. the amp's circuit, B. the speakers, C. tubes. (Yeah, not getting into pedals right now...)

Not trying to be contrary... just devil's advocate, I guess. Heaven knows I've sold amps I loved and later regretted the act.

Right now I think the net-net question is: why change something if you think what you currently have sounds great? Hard to beat great. "Greater"?

6. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

I've played both the handwired Vox and the JC-120 before, although at separate times. I thought they both sounded really good. Yes, I like the sounds I'm getting from my rig right now, but I do think I could have better. Yeah, I'm probably chasing the dragon a bit here, but it's something I've been pondering for a while.

7. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

"Chasing the dragon..." lol... welcome to TGP. Buy, buy, buy... Sell, sell, sell! And enjoy every minute!

Whatever happens, have fun with it! But don't let it become some all consuming thing. Most important thing is to "play the guitar, son...". The gear stuff is fun, to be sure, but it doesn't make you a better player. I can attest to that first hand.

8. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

Yeah, I hear you there haha. I've gone through so many pedals it's sickening. I've never really flipped guitars and amps before like I have with pedals, just because it's more work and I feel like they are harder to replace and I'm more prone to regretting my decision to sell. Ideally, I'd love to own all four of the amps I stated in my original post, but I do realize that it's kind of overkill to have them all. Either way, I'm not planning on making any rush decisions and I've got some more thinking to do.

9. blargfromouterspa

blargfromouterspa Member

Selling a Silverface Twin to replace it with a JC120 is one of the stupidest things you could do. Why?

10. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Dude? Seriously? This is TGP... have you not perused any of the threads about "show me your amps"? There are guys that have, like, hahaha, a friggin' BAZILLION amps... well, maybe more like 20 to 40. Having four amps? If you can afford it and it doesn't put your family in financial peril, then... go for it. Only you can set your priorities... maybe there's other gear you want/need more? Caving gear? Mcycle gear? Flying gear? Whatever...

Having four amps is not a self-centered, screw the third world, kinda thing.

Enjoy!

11. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

What is a Bauce? Should I be offended? LOL.

I have 3 amps currently and am currently putting together all the parts to build a 4th. In my opinion if you can afford it, go for it. Here is how I justify having a few amps.

I got a 2x12 40W '64 Bandmaster after spending too much time on these forums. I really wanted a vintage amp. This one was my first vintage. It is a great amp for large gigs.

Then I got a 5W 68 SF Vibro Champ with an 8" speaker. This one I wanted so I could crank it up at home, and not be too loud as to annoy my wife and kids. It's small and light and great for rehearsals when the drummer is on an electric kit.

At this point I was hooked on vintage tube amps. I sold off every other amp I had.
    Next I aquired 1x12 Tweed 5E3 I use for smaller gigs. Plus, I always wanted to build an amp, so this was a great fit.

Finally, I got to thinking, hey I don't have an amp with a 10" speaker! I fell in love with
    smaller amps after having my SFVC for a few years. I absolutely am giddy with the tweed grind I get from my 5E3 clone. I decided to build a Tweed Princeton clone. 5W with a 10" speaker in a nice replica tweed cab. Lower volume with great tweed crunch. Better bass response than the 8" speaker in my VC.

See how that works? I can justify them all! They all have their purposes. It makes me happy and I really play them all. Ask yourself if you are just craving another amp or two
    because everyone raves about them, and you feel you may be missing out? Do they fit your arsenal of equipment? Are the new amps supplementing your current gear? If you have been saving for some time, and still want these amps, then yes, you probably are on the right track. Guitars and pedals?....That's another story.

12. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

It's an early 80's model with the master volume/pull out pot thing. Basically, it's the least desirable of the Twin Reverbs, or so I hear over and over again. It was the first tube amp I ever bought. I'd be a little hesitant to sell it for that reason alone, and unless I could find a local buyer, I probably wouldn't let it go anyway. Shipping that thing would cost a fortune.

Haha, good point!

Sounds like you have a nice little collection of amps! I suppose my best course of action is to just hold on to what I've got and keep on saving for the other amps. I could find a reason to justify having all of them I suppose. It's not like I have to take them all to a gig just because I have them or anything.