Going back to an amp I almost loved - Guytron content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeyG, Jul 25, 2005.

1. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I owned an original Guytron at one time. It was very nice - killer cleans, smooth overdrive. I later found it a bit too smooth. I wanted it to have more bite and aggression.

Apparently, I was not alone, because the X-mod became a popular mod to make the amp a bit more Marshally. Some would ask "WHY??", when he created a truly original design. Well, that's a good question. I guess for me, it was to have a Voxy clean and Marshall overdrive in one amp.

Anyway, I've loved the comments about the FV, and finally have one on the way.

For those that have owned both, will I be more happy with the FV??

Maybe a year ago now, I said I'd pretty much completed my channel switcher journey. About that time, the CAA OD-100 and Orange Rockerverb came out. Well, those recently arrived, and the Guytron is en route.

I've been confiding in my friends that I need them to stop enabling my behavior, that I need to be done with the silliness. Contrary to intervention strategy, they pretty much told me to not be silly, I'm just going through a phase, and that gear is good!

If I come right out and say it, I'll look like a total a$$ for contradicting myself. So .......

"This is the end. I publicly state now I will not buy any more channel switchers. I will keep my one favorite of the ones I now own, and I'm done. If I violate this decree, I can be held out for virtual public flogging by the Gear Page members".

Wow, I already feel a little better :)

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I don't know if you will be happier, but I like my FV more than the original... a lot. But my Flexi still gets more hours 10:1.

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Should we just flog you now?

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I love my FV, and the original was killer. There's so many great tones to be had out of it, it's hard to find a bad one.

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I will count to three, when I snap my fingers you will wake up and not remember a thing.....

:D

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've been using my Gt-100, which you've heard Mikey, for a few years now, and I agree, the "B" channel is not as vivid or toothy-wild as a good Marshall. You are correct. As you turn it up, it gets pretty narrow, and quite veiled. A marshall will begin to dirt up, but leave some parts of the signal underlying clean. My tactic for quite a while is to run the "B" channel as a mild crunch or just a vol boost over the A channel, then get the flow from either the Fulldrive II or the good old Blue Collar pedal.

I do really love the clean channel on the Gt-100 even though it's not really clean at all, it's just workable for my style. I'm trying to play cleaner, with more texture, but I'm not cut out for the Dumble type amps, too much low mids in that family for me. I've not yet heard an FV which is sort of surprising but I'm not in the mood to drop a few grand on an amp these days anyway. I would love to try one.

Maybe this will work for you, but I wouldn't bet on it. Your signature tells me otherwise. I could, however, see the OD-100 having some sticking power in your arsenal, mine too. That is a great machine. Especially the dirty side, the cleaner side to me seemed pretty Marshall clean, lean, not easy full like a Fender, and not readily chimey. But that lead voice, flat out great...

7. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I love my FV. When I got it, I figured it would be great for the vintage black face and Marshall tones. In addition to that, by setting the FV setting to more of the 6L6 sound and rolling off the highs and presence, I get a damned good Dumble sound. It sounds killer with my TC 2290!

8. Distortion

Distortion Member

I feel your pain..
    The tonequest can be an extremely elusive journey.

On my trails I have owned an original Guytron GT 100 which I absolutely loved.
    But as many have stated before it really did get lost in a live environment.
    When the FV came out I picked one up with the hopes that it was everything I heard it was.. Well, for some reason it just didn't live up to the reviews and I sold it.. Then later another opportunity came up and I snagged it hoping it would impress me more.. Like my first FV it was a very good amp, but for my tastes it wasn't a great amp and it ended up with a new home..
    Then I hear about the CAA OD 100 SH.. I call Ed at Tone Merchants and one was on the way.

They all are outstanding amps, but what makes one very good, and another great is how they speak to you..
    In the end the CAA was my favorite.
    I will be interested to hear which is yours. :)

9. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

This mirrors my experience in every way.

10. 57special

57special Member

Mike, are there any similiarities between the Guytron and the JP50? How do they differ? I've been wanting to try a Guytron for the longest time.

11. Timster

Timster Member

+1

:D

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Way different. James describes the cleans as Hiwattish. The overdrive has much more bite than the original Guytron (I don't have the FV yet). The JP50 is Marshallish in the overdrive area. Very similar, but not exact. I'd be hard-pressed to explain the difference.

Timster, if you flog me, then I won't buy any more amps from you! Think that one over.

Oh, and I didn't say I wouldn't buy anymore amps. Just no more channel switchers.... ;) Of course Snider had to go and rave about the Egnater MOD100 just yesterday ....

The OD-100 is fantastic. I'm still trying to get the right match of speakers. I have many amps where, no matter what guitar you use, the amp sounds basically the same. Not with this OD-100. it seems to be very sensitive to guitars. The OD-100 is the most open-sounding high gainer I've tried... very articulate. Give a chord a brush stroke with the gain way up, and you still hear every note. But right now the cabs I have are all wrong for it, too bright. The cleans are great. But they illustrate a point I was trying to make in the other thread about amps that 'do it all'. These cleans are going after a Fender tone, but they don't 'feel' Fendery at all. No squish. Very immediate note attack. But I can live with it!

Mark, your Guytron sounded very Dumbly! I was impressed with the way it sounded at that gig. On my original Guytron, I replaced the V1 with a lower gain version. It was a bit too gritty for my tastes, that worked really well.

13. johnc

johnc Member

I think the FV has more punch than the original GT-100. Which I think is a good thing. I asked Guy about this, and he confirmed that he changed the values on a couple of things in the amp's circuit to unleash the full potential of the power amp.

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

MikeG do you have any detuned cabs? I've noticed that they have a lot more low end so if your current ones sound too bright that might work.
    Personally I also very much like my Scumbag SA12-75-8HP speaker .. very balanced not partial to highs or lows ..

15. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I have sort of given up on channel switchers for awhile. I am worn out from the whole process of buying, trying, tweaking, selling and shipping amps.
    One thing that really matters for me, is what happens when I have to leave the house for a gig. I look at my stuff, and think "do I want to deal with that amp?" In other words, I don't want to make multiple trips to the car, bust my hump, squeeze the stuff into my toyota, worry about stuff getting banged up and scuffed or worse. I don't want to hook up lots of extra cables, remember to bring them all, set-up an effects loop, rack stuff, deal with multiple things to power, extension cords, etc.
    For me the big channel switching heads with multiple boosts and loops always seemed to bog me down on gigs. Either I would have too little room to fit in my knook onstage, or I couldn't find an extra outlet to plug in my reverb unit, or I couldn't get the balance right, or I would have too much power for the gig. I would always think to myself "I just don't need all this".
    I now just bring a low wattage 1x12 combo with reverb. One trip, take off the cover, plug in the power, plug in guitar and play. No big footswitches, no speaker cables, no head cases, no rack reverbs, no back problems.
    And you know what? It sounds great, it's plently loud, the drummer can hear me out of the back of the cab, and I spend more time playing and less tweaking. Just my thoughts on the whole big amp multi-channel quest!

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I have the Standard stock model.

Like I said, I can live without the squish. I'd prefer that to it having an impact on the tightness of the OD.

From what I've read, I'd prefer the SH clean. I'm waiting for Boston Guitar to get one in so I can compare. Heath seems to favor the 50 that's coming out...

As for speakers, I know I need to experiment. With my work having me out of state 4 days a week (away from the amp), and a young sun, I figger I'll have time to swap speakers in 2007 sometime :)

I did get some speaker recommendations from you already John, via email, thanks for that!

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The low end is right where I want it. Just need something to brown it up a bit more, just tame the highs a little. There's also some internal trims I need to experiment with too ... just need to invent a 40 hour day, and get some time away from Daddy duties.

18. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I have a Gt 100, but it is a very different amp now than when I bought it. I talked to Guy and got some ideas for mods that really helped emphasize the upper mids, and he also made some tube recommendations that were really effective. The B channel is much more Marshally now and the A channel has the best "clean to slightly breaking up singing sustain" I've ever heard.

I have a Yugo EI in V1 and a Chinese in V5 (these were Guy's suggestions). I found a Silver Special RI to be a slight improvement over the NOS Chinese in V5.

These two tubes really helped to give the B channel more of a Marshall flavor.

Surprisingly I found an RFT to be perfect for Channel A. It sounds better than either a Mullard 4004 or the GT Mullard RI, or the NOS RCA that I was using. Very balanced tonally with the perfect amount of breakup and compression.

I have Siemens EL34s, which sound great, and Russian mil spec EL84s which last a lot longer than JJs and sound warmer too.

I'm using Guy's Big Tone speakers with Weber beam blockers. They have replaced the Cele Blackbacks as my favorite speakers so far. I just got a Man O War that I'm looking forward to trying as well.

I was up and down with this amp for a long time until I finally got all the tweaks just right and now it is KILLING. I have musicians raving about how good the amp sounds all the time...keyboard players, bass players, drummers, as well as guitar players. I can't get over how much I enjoy playing this amp.

I did try out an OD100. The clean channel sounded stiff and sterile compared to the tweaked GT100 to me as well as a couple of guys who were with me. Fendery, but not as good as a great BF Fender.

19. highgeer

highgeer Member

Mikey,
    I bet that you will prefer channel A of the original to channel A of the FV, and conversely like channel B on the FV over the original channel B. Channel A of original GT-100 will forever be one of my all-time favorites. The FV addresses every concern about Channel B, but it effects channel A adversely. I also think that the FV does not like Strat as much as the original did. I am really digging my OD-100 SH/SE, but I will always want channel A from the original Guytron, and I look forward to anything new from Guy.

Mike

20. Timster

Timster Member

You're right - I'll need someone to buy my Gain Star...if I ever get it..

:dude

Hope you're still liking the 2Rock. If not, I guess you can aways sell it for what you paid.

Will the FV be up here in MA?