Going direct - master volume needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mwc2112, May 19, 2008.

1. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I play at church and most of the time use an AxeFX. But, for those days that I don't want to lug it, I have a small pedalboard setup with a couple of preamp pedals on it. Unfortunately our under-trained soundmen, no matter how much we tell them, are oblivious to what a 'trim' does and only seems to know how to adjust faders. With the AxeFX it's not as much of a problem because I can adjust the overall output to give the board enough signal. With a pedal rig, though, it's much harder to do because I'd have to adjust the signal on all of my preamp pedals (or, when I'm going really light, all the channels on my Tri-AC). So, what I was looking for was a way to add an active volume. I've considered one of two things: 1) putting something like a Seymour Duncan pickup booster at the end of the chain before the DI box or 2) getting a DI box with an active volume control in it (like this one: http://righteoustones.com/jack.html).

Any other thoughts or experiences from anyone who has the same issues? Besides properly training the soundpeople that is... that's a work in progress. :rotflmao

Thanks!

Matt

2. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Crate PowerBlock. Out of production but still plenty to be had on eBay.

3. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

4. mwc2112

Thanks, but I don't need a poweramp. It's direct-to-board, so something line-level would be preferable. Thanks!

5. mwc2112

Also sometimes called 'head amp'.

It is the input signal level going into the mixing board. Usually there's a level adjuster for it on the board.

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The little ART Tube MP will send a lot of clean signal to the PA as a DI.

7. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Crate Power Block DOES go direct to board via XLR output. No DI necessary and does not require a speaker load. You still have control of level (and EQ) going to mixer. And the fact that it also serves as a backup amp, if necessary, is just icing on the cake.

8. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

what you mean "GAIN". Ive been doing sound if different venues for years now what is it.

9. mwc2112

Yeah. It's all the same. My Mackie mixer at home labels it as 'trim'. The mixer we use at church calls it 'head amp'. I've actually seen few that explicitly calls it 'gain', but that's what it is.

10. mwc2112

Yeah, I know it has direct out, but: 1) I don't need an amp at all for the gig (backup or otherwise) and 2) I don't really want to mount a poweramp on my pedalboard. Good suggestion, though, if I were using a monitor that needed to be powered, but we use Avioms so that's taken care of.

Thanks!

Matt

11. soundbee

soundbee Member

12. mwc2112

Yeah, that might be a good option and I'm feeling dumb for not thinking of something that simple. I used to have an MXR 10-band and I think one of those would do the trick nicely since it has a level slider in addition to gain and frequency sliders. That Maxon looks nice too.

Thanks!

Matt

13. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Just remember that plugging your pedalboard directly into a mixer is still missing 1 element....a speaker cab. If not using a speaker cab then there has to be a speaker cab simulator in the chain somewhere to get a true tube amplifier sound. Most pedals are designed with the assumption that they will be fed into a real speaker cab at the end of the chain. This is why Crate put the speaker cab simulator circuitry into the PoweBlock, because they wanted to offer a speakerless, direct to PA solution. Another alternative would be a SansAmp pedal.

14. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

i used to use a sansamp rig and had their Para-Driver DI at the end of the chain. you can bypass it's preamp and use it only for the EQ and, like what you need, a master volume.

15. mwc2112

I'm using a Sansamp (Blonde) and Ethos rig. Speaker simulation is built-in to both of these, so a separate sim is not needed.

Thanks!

16. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

let me save you a lot of time. without a decent soundperson things will not look good for many reasons that i will not go into here but if you have been in church long enough you know what they are.

17. mwc2112

I hear ya. And, to their credit, they are getting better and seem to be able to balance the vocals and instruments pretty decently. They just don't seem to grasp the 'input signal level' concepts. :horse