Going from 500K to 250K On a Jr.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an EchoPark La Carne basically a Jr (Wrap Tail single P90) I love the guitar Its everything I want, However the P90 is bit Hot and Bright for my Taste. I would normally Just tweak the Tone and volume and get it where I want But I dont like the sweep of these pots I cant there with these. It also has a NOS Sprague Black Beauty POI Cap If that Matters.

Im going to replace the Posts with some emerson CTS Pots, I want to go to 250K and was wondering If I should do just the Tone Or both the Volume and Tone. And I keep Reading about zero Loud Pots?

Any friendly opinions?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no, just hostile ones :banana

what don't you like about the sweep of the pots you have now? maybe that can be corrected.

otherwise, if you just wanted to turn everything up and have it be not as bright as it is now, i recommend first going with a 250k audio volume; that'll tame the treble and also have a smoother sweep.

with the tone, if it's a 500k audio and you want to hear what it would sound like as a 250k, just turn it down to about "7".

i'm guessing you are referring to "no-load" pots? they only work as tone pots, and they make things brighter, so not what you're looking for.

3. deathbyBONK

deathbyBONK Member

I've always been a fan of 300k audio taper pots on P90's.

The cap should be fine, in fact I would agree with walter and leave the tone pot and cap as is and just change out your volume pot.

4. handtrix

handtrix Member

300k for the win !

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I like 300k pots and I like the linear taper Gibson uses on both P90s and humbuckers. :hide2. I have spent quite a few dollars on 500k pots and 50's wiring only to be disappointed.

Go ahead and try it. You can always switch back if you don't like it.

6. walterw

300k can be cool as the volume for those "in-between" pickups (overwound strat or tele, P-90) but i hate the gibson linears for guitar; 300k audios are a thing and will work much better to work the clean-crunch transition from the guitar.

you could also just slap a 1M resistor from the pickup lug to ground on the volume pot to turn a 500k into a 330k. that's what i did with the 10k "high output" fralins in my tele; along with the 500k tone it's just the right amount of loading.

7. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

This is the solution I'd recommend. It also has the effect of softening the curve on the pot response. Most audio taper pots these days don't have a continuous curve; they ramp at one linear rate from max to some value, then at a different linear rate from that value to zero.

8. walterw

i actually needed the opposite response!

i put a dimarzio 500k volume pot in my tele, which is absolutely top-notch but has a 15% taper, a pinch too flat for my taste; i put the resistor on the middle lug instead of the clockwise lug, which had the effect of making the taper steeper rather than flatter.

9. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

How about a 500k volume and a 250k tone. I think that was the Les Paul Jr. Original wiring.. it works well, that set up is very interacting with the volume and would mellow out when turning the tone control down and just growl when turning the tone control back up. Very useful.

10. walterw

yeah, but the opposite arrangement makes way more sense; with both on "10" it's the same overall sound, but the lower value volume has an advantage in a smoother sweep with less treble loss when turning down, while the higher value tone is exactly like the lower value tone when you back it off; a 500k audio on "7" is the same as a 250k audio all the way up.