1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Going from Multi Effects to Analog - Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Leb, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Leb

Leb Member

Hi guys, i hve been using POD XT live for many years now and right now i am thinking of going analog. Usually i would prefer to go direct to the PA system becasue some churches has no amps. So waht kind of preamp do u thk i shd get to go direct to the house with analog pedals? Crate powerblock?
    Thanks

Leb

2. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I'd say stick with what you have.

3. Leb

Leb Member

I really want to switch to analog. Cause its so much simpler.
    Will tube preamps do the job?
    Or a Behringer DI Box with emulators?

Leb

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Since you only need "a preamp box" to up the signal from the analog, and since you are doing this, from what I gather from what you wrote, to simplify (i.e. you are not bothered by digital) couldn't you just use the Pod XT as a simple preamp into the PA system, just without turning on any patches? I mean, on the Behringer V-amp2, you can turn off all effects/modelling and simple use it as a boost as well.

Would that not work for you?

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Not to be a smart ass here or anything, but it sounds to me like what you have right now could not be much 'simpler', if that's what you're after.

Is there a tonal/musical reason for the change as well? Maybe that would help clarify the question?

6. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I would recommend one of the tech21 sansamp products like the GT2.

7. Leb

Leb Member

Thanks for those replies guys.

I do not want to carry so many equipments here and there as i dont drive.
    I currently own an xt live. (Which is pretty heavy haha)
    Simpler means i can tweak on the fly easily and get the tone i need quick. :D so far i spend so much lesser time tweaking and now i juz enjoy playing music.
    For me now i need a preamp so tt i can go straight into the PA system.
    Suggestions so far:
    1)Mesa V-Twin pedal
    2)XT
    3)GT2

Any others? What about crate powerblock anyone?

Leb

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

This suggestion is quite different than the others, and involves a major expense and change, but a Pritchard amp has the best DI available, as basically everyone who has ever used it can attest.

Other than that extreme option, I'll agree with options already given. I'd recommend V-Stack except that it doesn't get clean enough, IMO.

If you want to wait, The V-Stack amp may be a reasonable cost compromise.

9. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I'll concur with carltonh about the Pritchard but also state that if you want simple then it doesn't get any simpler than the GT-2. For Tech21's best and most tweakable, you're looking at a PSA-1, but that offers almost as much complexity as the Line6 stuff. It is analog, though.

10. Leb

Leb Member

Hi all,
    is Pritchard really an amp? cause i wont be able to carry an amplifier around.

Talking about Gt2, what abt the Tri ac? any comments on that
    and how is it compared to the V-Stack :D

Thanks

Leb

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

Yes, the Pritchard is really an amp, though as a 1x12 it is only about 32 lbs.

www.pritchardamps.com.

IMO, the V-Stack has better medium to high gain sounds than Tech 21, but the GT2 has better clean sounds than V-Stack pedals. Don't know about the Tri AC.

12. msp

msp Member

my sugestion may be far from your vision of what you want or need:

but, you may want to keep your pod and consider the bose PAS aproach

to me it sounds like what you are looking for

13. Leb

Leb Member

Too expensive and too many things to bring around...
    I need something simpler like a preamp ahha

so far i am considering the sansamp triac
    cause the Messa V twin and H&K tubeman, are not available in SIngapore.

Leb

14. danel59

danel59 Member

Try a Koch Pedaltone - similar idea to the Mesa V-Twin but even more versatile and the speaker sims sound better to my ears. It has seperate controls, tone and gain for both clean and overdrive channels plus it has a boost function for the overdrive and enhance for the clean channel but the real kicker is it uses one of the 4 preamp tubes as a 1/2 watt power amp that thickens up and adds more dynamics to the sound and feel. It also has the solo function to kick in a boost for leads. You can use it direct to PA/Headphones, a Preamp into a Poweramp, or go into a clean channel of another guitar amp all giving great results. I use mine (and I did at one point have the V-Twin) mostly as a direct rig with a GT8 but pedals work well with it too and it also has an effects loop in it too. The tone and feel beat the V-twin hands down IMHO. Highly recommended.

Dan

15. WonderDude

WonderDude Member

Get the Behringer Ultra-G and a few good stomp boxes. You'll be amazed at the tone you can get from that.

I'm running...
    Morley Wah/Volume -> BD-2 -> OD-3 -> Ultra-G -> AD-5 -> PA

Now all I need is a good delay pedal and I'll be all set!