Going NOS w/hayseed on limited budget

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 12strings, Feb 11, 2006.

1. 12strings

12strings Member

I should be receiving my Hayseed next week! I wanted to put in some NOS tubes but have a limited budget. I can only do a couple tubes at a time. I already purchased a Valvo EF86 tube. What next? I am thinking either a mullard ecc81, mullard gz34 or some el84s-can't do all at the same time. Which ones are going to have the best immediate upgrade?
    Thanks!

2. granite

granite Member

My Hayseed head is shipping on Monday! My philosophy has always been to wait to see what the stock unit sounds like first before buying/trying NOS tubes. NOS is not always better.

I onced switched out all the tubes in an Aiken Tomcat I use to own for NOS tubes. The NOS tubes sounded like sh*t compared the JJs that Randall supplied. He designed the amp to sound best with the JJs.

That said, I just bought a Dario EF86 and a Telefunken EF86 from the emporium to do some experimenting with on the Hayseed. I'm not going to drop a couple of hundred $ on tubes until I hear the Hayseed roar in person and decide if the stock tubes make me happy or not.

3. wilder

wilder Member

I've got a Hayseed and I will second Granite's advice. Wait till it arrives and you will be floored. I did switch to a NOS Amperex EF86 and it made a difference, but the regular and TB channels already sounded fantastic. I tried a Tunsgram and a Telefunken in those channels and it was only a marginal and subjective improvement.

Chris

4. propska

propska Member

I would say the el84s. I've tried a few different el84s with my hayseed, and NOS isn't always night and day better in my opinion. But, I found mullard el84s are a cut above the other stuff I tried (GE, Pre-JJ Teslas, german made valvos, JJs, EIs). Too bad mullard quads are so pricey. I haven't tried upgrading (I use that term loosely) the GZ34 because I've heard the main advantage of a NOS recto tube is that it lasts so much longer. Maybe I'll try one when the JJ starts to go south.

5. 12strings

12strings Member

Thanks for the great advice. I guess I got ahead of myself with all the info that is available on this forum!!