Going stereo, advice please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimH, Jul 11, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

I play in a covers band, the other guitar player recently quit so i want to give as full and interesting sound as possible - judicious use of effects being in that remit. I use amps with no FX loop and simulated DIs or palmer PDI-09 to get to the desk.

My plan is to put my mod/delay/reverb FX entirely after my amp. At this stage I have no money to buy a new unit for this.

...so it's existing basic pedals - nothing fancy BOSS and Marshall

...or into PODxt with amp sims shut off and using only FX.

...OK, only my DD-6 has stereo inputs, so I'll basically only get 2 stereo FX if I go that route - the DD6 and the one before it - however the one before it is a 6 in 1 mod pedal and maybe all I need.

I realise I won't hear the fx out of my amp on stage - that's OK.

Any of this sound like a good or bad idea? as it is everything is going in the front of the amp, so no stereo and not particualrly great sound as going straight into the preamp.

thanks in advance

2. JimH

JimH Member

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I think there are ways to thicken a mono signal that will do what you want...in a live situation the audience wont be able to tell the difference between a stereo guitar signal or a thickened mono signal...

try some very very short delay or subtle chorus...even an octave pedal again set subtly will thicken things up...or run two mono signals to two very different amps, that will add some interesting tonal differences...

I run stereo at HOME and it sounds good with reverb, delay, chorus, and flanging pedals that have stereo inputs (important) and outputs... but it is a cabeling pita

4. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Don't run mods after your amp.

5. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Huh? Most people run chorus, delay and reverb in the effects loop - which in a huge number of cases is after all the preamp distortion and OD has been applied. Also, in the studio, reverb and delay are often added to the recorded amp track (which is after amp/cab + mic colouring).

Some effects that should definitely be run pre-distortion are boost/OD pedals, whammy effects, fuzzes and compressors. It is, of course, possible to run some effects either way; and some like phasers and vibes can be run before distortion or after distortion, depending on how raw or swirly you want the sound.

I must admit, though, that often times I get lazy and just run my whole board (whammy->boost->OD->distortion->EQ->chorus->delay) into the clean channel input of a tube amp, and the result is still very satisfactory.

6. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

That's not true at all.

7. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I should have said, most people using the guitar's pre-amp for distortion.
    If the amp is clean, then it doesn't matter. And if you use distortion pedals, then chances are that you put the chorus, delay and reverb after the distortion.

8. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks guys,

My feeling is that anything that goes in the loop sounds better post preamp - and probably post power amp - why do you think that people won't precieve an improvent with a stereo sound? - they might not know why but won't it be lusher and fuller? My issue is that I get amp OD - I can't use a clean amp. maybe I should start, but then I feel I'd be losing my basic tone for the benefit of FX

9. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Bob Bradshaw describing how he wired my W/D/W rig, and why:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CdHwhMzJbeo&feature=related

Hopefully this will give you some stuff to think about, and be helpful for you.

10. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks, interesting video.