1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

going stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parkhill, May 24, 2011.

1. parkhill

parkhill Member

I'm thinking of going to a stereo setup. I have a few stereo effects that I have always used in mono and I think it would be fun to finally access their full potential. I currently use a vox ac30. Would I be better off getting another ac30 or something with a different tone to complement it like a deluxe reverb? What would you choose and why?

2. sahertian

sahertian Member

they say.. mixing 2 different amps can be heaven..

Lui Sutil likes this.
  3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what would complement an ac30 best, but I would say get a different amp. Running a stereo rig is awesome! I did it, albeit a much smaller scale, and loved it. I first tried it with a Vox ac4tv and a VHT Special6, sounded awesome, so awesome that I had to monkey with it, lol. I sold the Vox and bought a second Special 6. Not so much. I'm back to running mono until I can afford to go stereo again. But I could be all wet, the Edge runs stereo ac30's.

Effects that are stereo do sound AWESOME in a stereo setup btw.

4. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Supporting Member

Mixing two great amps that compliment each other can get you darn close to tonal heaven. I've gotten to where I don't like to play live if I don't have my two amp rig with me. To each his own, but for me it truly sounds THAT good and then some. Experiment and don't forget to have some fun along the way!

5. Blakemore

Blakemore Supporting Member

ONce you go stereo, you never go back!! :)

It's a blast. I run an ac30 with a vibrolux. Ac30 has the chimey mids and the Vibrolux has the nice low end and fender top end. They sound great together.

Only thing to look out for when mixing amps and running stereo is making sure they are in phase with each other, if they aren't in phase, your sound will sound wide and thin.

Best of luck!

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I am going to give an argument against stereo. I never could picture stereo from a single source. I can see stereo as say the right hand of the piano on one side the left hand on the other but a guitar is a single sound source and synthetic stereo from effects always feels weird. Now I love wet dry set ups. That is a single centered dry signal with and effected signal coming in from the side or sides. The reason this is different is the the side wet signals are strictly secondary to the dry signal they don't equal it only augment it. Anyway something to think about.

7. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Cool thread...I say go for it, it's a blast. Running two different amps that are in the some tonal ballpark is the way to go I think.

Right now I have a 20 watt Peters Polaris combo running with a Vox AC15H1TV combo. I'm using a Nova System in the loop of the Peters (so all the gain is tube preamp gain from the Peters amp) and I'm just sending the second stereo out from the Nova System to the EF86 channel (low input) on the Vox and matching closely the volume and basic tone of the Peters

I'm using stereo delay/reverb and clicking on/off a stereo pitch shift chorus effect setting, by setting the pitch shift fine tuning to -9 left...+9 right, with a 17ms delay added to one side for even more spread....so fun!

I'm gonna bring both amps out to my next gig and run stereo...it could be habit forming.

8. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Yup...I realized the Vox AC15H1TV was out of phase with my other amp and had to rewire the Vox's speaker.

9. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

10. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

:drool

Totally agree!

11. Lance

Lance Member

Definitely use a different amp. A Deluxe would be perfect, really. After you plug them in (depending on your rack units) you should be able to hear the signal negotiate one amp's circuitry slightly faster than the other one. Make the faster one the left side, and the other the right side.

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for stereo (yes) and mixed models (YES!). I like the Vibrolux suggestion, earlier in the thread, as it seems a better volume match for the AC30.

I play in stereo, with a Carr Slant 6V on one side, and a Victoria Regal II on the other. They compliment each other nicely.

- Thom

p.s. Lance: why do you specify the fast amp be on the left? :huh That seems a random detail, but there must be some interesting back story...

13. parkhill

parkhill Member

Thanks for posting those clips! And thanks for all the input as well. I too am curious about having the "faster" amp on the left. I'm not dismissing it at all, just curious what the reason is. I look forward to trying this all out real soon.

14. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

No problem, I'm loving the stereo setup and I'm practicing a lot more in the basement now. ;)

here's another stereo amp clip...fun with stereo delay.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=475550&songID=10683551

15. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Right now I'm using a Super Reverb and a 50 watt JMP in a two amp rig. The only drawback (which isn't bad at all) is that when I hit the front end with a dirt box or a boost, the super gets a lot louder and the JMP just gets a little louder but a lot more saturated.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Your amps are not complementary.
    If you use amp distortion the response needs to be about the same unless you like the clean/dirty combination (that can sound weird to me). Better with most dirt from pedals.
    It's too hard to dial in 2 amps if you need tonal variety and they are not well matched.
    And, as cool as spatial fx are, they are location dependent, so, it is hard to get the player the band and the audience all into the best spot of the soundfield.
    OTOH, it's not THAT big of a deal to compromise towards mono with 2 amps.

17. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member