Going straight to the house.. how?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by strings4v, Jan 30, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

Sometimes I have chances to do a gig that you need to play electric guitar but can't bring your amp.. College open mics are like that. Stage is so small and prep time allowed is so short. I figured bringing my entire rig will be an overkill.
    Plus audience aren't motivated nor tonally intellectual (like.. they won't be able to tell the different tones apart. They are intellectual for sure.)
    I think I could get by just with a guitar and something that goes between the guitar and the mixer (or DI) into PA.
    Been looking at some affordable solutions. (Axe or Kemper would be awesome but wallet is thin)
    1. Tech 21 Flyrig - I think it's got an amp sim.. not sure if it's just pre&power amp sim or including speaker sim though.
    2. Avid 11 Rack - this could be handy... I could get some usable tones when recording as well. Or in case I have to live in a dorm..
    3. idk.. what else?

Let's do... ~300$ used.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

3. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

11 rack is great, got one recently. I haven't used it live but I have found some tones that are good.

There's a guy on eBay who sells them without pro tools for ~$340 shipped brand new. Hard to beat that.

4. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Let's not be too hasty here...

5. B Money

B Money Member

for that type of gig, convenience is most important. So I would look at some type of floor-based modeler/effects unit like a POD HD500 or similar.
    There are a bunch of choices, and honestly they all sound good these days. Pick on in your budget and go.

6. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

The Tech21 FlyRig5 was made for this! It has the Sansamp which is like a preamp, reverb, delay, Plexi drive and a boost. I use it with an additional OD pedal (sometimes I want something different than the built in Plexi drive. But really, this is all you need.

7. beneharris

beneharris Member

I've used my Magnum .44 for this a few times. Sounds pretty good, actually.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Tech 21 Character pedals excel at this.

9. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I assembled a small board on a Pedaltrain Nano containing a reverb, delay, tuner, and the Zoom MS100BT. I mostly use the Zoom for amp sims when needed, with an occasional boost or OD. You can go straight to FOH with a DI box, or turn off the amp sims and use an effects loop on a regular amp. Even works ok as an acoustic board with the Zoom in bypass mode.

10. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Used PODHD300, you are very seriously going to have a really hard time beating that option in your budget.

Nice amp sims and effects. Easy set up and tear down as it is all self contained, has both XLR and 1/4 outs.

You can switch patches live....and record direct with it as your interface.

11. strings4v

strings4v Member

So if I wanna run it straight into a mixer then to a PA, I would need a speaker sim?

12. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

No, speaker sim is built into the SansAmp portion. Just don't use the Plexi channel without the SansAmp - without a guitar amp, you probably won't care for the tone.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

No...that's the point of it.

14. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

I used to do this all the time, Parker Fly to two channels of the house PA with a HK Redbox (under $100 used) on the magnetic pickup signal w/a couple pedals before it and the piezo direct in.

That's the cheapest way to do it that I can think of if you already have a few pedals you like.

15. rummy

rummy Member

I often use Tech 21 Blonde for this.

16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I play in a praise/worship band, and to keep stage volume down I go direct to the board through a Fender Mustang Floor. I don't care for a lot of the presets, but the on-board interface and FUSE software allow you to tweak the amp models to get some pretty good tones.

17. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

The Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 is the perfect tool for this situation, and it will fit in the pocket of your guitars gig bag! I use a PRS DGT and can pack the Flyrig, cords, guitar stand, tuner, strap, and picks all in my Mono M80 gig bag. Just be sure to take a extra cord to connect to the PA board or snake. I can see players in large cities like New York where taking the subway is necessary for gigs loving this set up. Is it as good as my Bad Cat amp? No way, but good musicians find ways to create their music, I'm sure Eric Johnson could plug into a Flyrig and go straight into the PA and after 5 mins of tweaking would sound awesome!

18. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

OK... I have been tinkering with going direct as a backup solution incase the amp fails. It's happened before, but I have had a backup so it wasn't an issue. But, I'm increasingly taking more PA gear in my SUV so space is at a premium.

I'm happy with my board at this point. So, if I got a Tech 21 character pedal and put it in my gig bag.... if the amp ever fails again could I just run the pedalboard directly into the Tech 21 and go direct to the board. I've toyed with something like a POD, but honestly I just don't want to tinker with it. Tech 21 seems a lot easier as there is not as much to tweak.... especially if I could use it with my board.

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

When you say you can't bring your whole rig, it depends on what your rig is.

This is mine. I can travel with this and a guitar and do a lot. (Ignore the M9, it sits sidecar, I can take it, but it's a PITA 9 times out of 10)

[​IMG]

The Tech 21 Leeds Character IS my amp. At home I run in to a Power Engine, which I can bring with me and run XLR out to the board. I can also run straight from the end of my pedalboard (Arena Reverb) to the mixer.

For when that's overkill, I have a Flyrig5 as a backup.

So if your rig is a pedalboard already, you just need a Tech 21 to put in line. You can get one used around $100.

20. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have used a Digitech RP70 on occasion. It was about $70. Took about 30 minutes to learn to adjust and save about 4 patches that got the job done with either single coils or humbuckers. I used the Matchless amp models as a base (and no it didn't sound quite like my Matchless amps). Has a DI speaker compensated out button. Always worked just fine. Only downside is the wall wart. Well that and the 1/4" out but most boards can accommodate that.

Tele, Zendrive, RP70 di to board, handheld recorder.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13039432&q=hi&newref=1

hunter