Going the P90 route, pickup suggestions?

Sun Creature

Been doing some major shake-ups in gear this year and I have finally decided to convert my SG Gothic into a P90 machine. My main concerns are that they play well with overdrive/fuzz pedals and still get some grind on their own.

Price-wise, I don't mind dropping some cash but I am not going to drop $150 or more just for one P90. I would like not to go over $200 total.

I have heard the Gibson P90's are good and the Lollar's sound like my thing.

67mike

Lollar makes some WICKED P90's........I think they are hard to beat no matter what.

Alvis

Duncan SP-90 1b in the bridge ....simple ,easy to get ,effective
I have 'em in about 4 Les Pauls,a flyin V and a Firebird ...awesome

73Fender

Wolfetone mean/meaner set.

Done.
+1..he'll work with you. I got this set with the bridge RWRP so I get hum cancelling in the dual position of my Hamer Special. The volumes have to be matched though.

Nothing wrong with stock Gibson P90s either.

bkatx

I really like the stock Gibson P90s. They aren't as sexy as the boutiquey stuff but you might want to give them a look too.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Had the Lollar...returned it and put the stock Gibson back in and adjusted the pole pieces carefully and slowly...and dialed in the sound I wanted. Then my tech and I made fun of myself for a long time.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I really like the stock Gibson P90s. They aren't as sexy as the boutiquey stuff but you might want to give them a look too.
Theyr'e decent..I'd take them over some of the boutiquey stuff.
I tried several times to like Lollar. They're a very sweet polite sound. Not a bad sound at all, but I expect/want a P90 to get as dirty as a 2 dollar hooker...but clean up like a choir of angels.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
+1..he'll work with you. I got this set with the bridge RWRP so I get hum cancelling in the dual position of my Hamer Special. The volumes have to be matched though.

Nothing wrong with stock Gibson P90s either.
the volumes have to match to be hum cancelling?

I always wondered if you could run it in the middle position and just turn down the neck pickup for bridge pickup sounds or vice versa

Sun Creature

Thanks for the reccomendations, guys.

I am definitely leaning toward the Wolfetone Meaner/Mean set but the Gibson P-90's are still keeping me interested.

Fab4ever

Wanting a lower wind option for my hollow body, I chose Vintage Vibe (www.vintagevibeguitars.com). I have received the pickups and am waiting for them to be installed, so I haven't heard them yet. But the reviews I've read along with the apparent value led me to choose _Pete Biltoft's pickups.

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
If you want hum canceling I got a set of kinmans that sound pretty great. If hum doesn't bother you, I had lindy Fralins in there and they sounded great. I just couldn't take the hum. The p90 has more hum than your average single coil.

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a major gear hound and feel that some of the boutique stuff has diminishing returns (i.e., only incremently better than stock or standard stuff). I really like the stock Gibson P90's. As a reference point, I really don't like the stock ceramic humbucker pups in Gibsons.

flume

Double Platinum Member
I have Fralins in several of my ES-295s and do enjoy them.

One of the last restoration jobs - the green one - I tried something different and shot in the dark with Mojotone's p90. If they make pickups for Geddy and Alex, how can you lose?..very nice but very low output so the polepieces are jacked up as high as I can.

In my Les Pauls the stock Gibsons are great and I've been thru a bunch.

Another job coming thru this year so I'll be able to choose another set...easy to default to Fralin for low wind 50s output, but am game for other ideas too.

Trending Topics