Going the P90 route, pickup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sun Creature, Jan 29, 2014.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

Lollar, Thorn and Gibson are the P-90s that all work well for me. I think my favorite have been the Thorns followed very closely with Lollar. My least favorite P-90s have been the PRS Soapbars. Had them in few guitar and they never sounded right.

2. cherrick

cherrick Member

3. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

I've tried a few, I like Fralins and Gibsons the most from what I've tried. Seymour Duncans are cool too. Tried the Lollars, sound great but a little to Hi-Fi polite for what I am used to hearing from a P90. I currently own 5 electric guitars -- 2002 '54 Gibson Goldtop Historic re-issue that has Fralins in it and orange drop caps(came that way when I bought it used), sounds great and is the brightest sounding Gibson I own, '93 Gibson Les Paul Special DC that has had the original Gibsons, Seymour Duncans, and currently Fralins and has been my #1 since the day I purchased it new. Also have a Gibson ES-335 Luther Dickinson with the stock Gibby P90's, sounds great as well... all three Gibsons with P90's sound different from the other, but in the same ballpark. I also have a '62 Fender Jazzmaster some of it original.. has the original neck p/u(sounds great) and I swapped in a Fralin Jazzmaster style P90 in the bridge position to match the output of my other guitars, that sounds great as well, but sounds like a Fender(duh!). So I guess you could say I'm hooked (used to) the P90 sound. The other electric is a Gibson ES-333 with HB's 57 Classic+ and Classic, like it as well but don't play it enough... I miss the telecaster I sold to help pay for the Luther and the Goldtop.

4. RJLII

RJLII Member

I have experience with three different manufacturers.

My R6 has stock Gibson P90s. They sound just like P90s (funny thing). Lots of midrange and plenty of balls.

My old PRS Korina McSoapy had Zhangbucker P90s in it. They sounded twangier than the Gibsons and had less of the stereotypical P90 sound. They were also lower output than the Gibsons. The guitar channeled a bit of a Telecaster tone. The guitar itself was a completely different animal than the R6 and that likely contributed to the difference as well.

My old Heritage H-137 had a set of Lollars. They sounded nice. Very twangy and bright. Lower output than the Gibsons with less mids. Very polite sounding.

For my money I'd say go with the original Gibson P90. They're fat and punchy and sound like a P90 should. If you want to do something a bit different both Zhangbucker and Lollar offer a number of winding options for increased output and tone coloration. Zhangbuckers are very resonable price wise.

Can't go wrong with this approach either.

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

The dirty little secret about P90s is that it doesn't take a genius to make a really good one.
    I've had Duncans, Duncan Antiquity, Gibson, Epiphone, Lollar, BG and Fender. They're all pretty good. Even the Epis.

I have Antiquity in my #1 now simply because I like how filthy they get.