Going to Boston (the band)

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
Going to see Boston this summer. I was youngin' when the debut came out and full in to KISS mode when Don't Look Back came out but I've always loved those 2 albums - 3rd Stage came out when I was a teenage headbanger. I haven't given them much thought in years other than hearing them on classic rock radio, nostalgic, fun etc... I just learned they're coming through town this summer and am surprisingly excited for the opportunity to here Tom Scholz blast those tunes live - he's always been one of my favorite guitar players mostly due to his unique sound.
Anybody seen them in recent years? How's the new singer? Delp was amazing! RIP. Any fellow Boston fans here on TGP?

TGP approved stage attire and everything!

Tbone135

Everyone loves to hate on them, but I'll always appreciate them for what they pulled off. Delp was such a special talent, and Scholz is incredibly underrated as a player. I'd go see them as I'm curious to how it still works live.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Is there anybody but Scholz still in the band? I realize it was all him at first, but what about the first group that went out as "Boston"?

I love the first album. Never really listened past that.

Their first album was the first album I ever bought. Always had a special place in my heart, just like KISS.

I was very tempted to see them 2 years ago at the Forum in LA, but I have sworn off big arena shows for the most part.Good news is that whole show is on YouTube if you want to take a peek:

More good news they are playing at the Greek Theatre this summer, so I think I will finally see them after all.

ceeinwa

I saw them in late summer of 2014, and it was almost everything I hoped it would be. Yeah, Tom is the only one left from the original group, but the songs and riffs are still great.

My seat was right in front of Tom, so that was a major bonus. :cool:

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Going to see Boston this summer. I was youngin' when the debut came out and full in to KISS mode when Don't Look Back came out but I've always loved those 2 albums - 3rd Stage came out when I was a teenage headbanger. I haven't given them much thought in years other than hearing them on classic rock radio, nostalgic, fun etc... I just learned they're coming through town this summer and am surprisingly excited for the opportunity to here Tom Scholz blast those tunes live - he's always been one of my favorite guitar players mostly due to his unique sound.
Anybody seen them in recent years? How's the new singer? Delp was amazing! RIP. Any fellow Boston fans here on TGP?

TGP approved stage attire and everything!
Is he wearing an unloader on his left knee? If so, he must be having trouble with it. I had to wear one for a while.

I loved their first two albums. I remember when they hit the air. Some great music to be had all around the dial back then.

JCM 800

The "new" Boston is just not all that great. It's Tom Scholz and rotating cast. No real fire anymore.

Once Brad was gone it could never be Boston again. It's been Tom's band in every way since the start but it could have never happened without Brad's vocals. Nobody can do what Brad did.

bob-i

I met Tom during their first tour. A friend of mine was supplying some PA equipment for a Boston show and needed help. Tom was setting up his own rig including his homemade pedal board. It had a button on it labeled "kitchen sink" that turned everything on with one click. He also had a small amp behind the stacks, he re-amped it through the big stacks.

SteveO

Is he wearing an unloader on his left knee? If so, he must be having trouble with it. I had to wear one for a while.

I loved their first two albums. I remember when they hit the air. Some great music to be had all around the dial back then.
I saw them on the Third Stage tour (one of the best sounding concerts I've ever attended), and Tom had some sort of brace on his leg then, too.

1960lp

I will always miss Brad but it is still a great show! I have seen them several times in the last few years.

cram

It's a brace due to a knee injury. He played in basketball leagues for a while.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
I like what I'm seeing and hearing from the current band. Their live harmony is great now and I don't see the pretense that I see in a lot of these reconfigured classic bands (i.e. Foreigner). Gotta love Tracy Ferrie and Beth Cohen.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
I saw them on the Third Stage tour (one of the best sounding concerts I've ever attended), and Tom had some sort of brace on his leg then, too.
It's a brace due to a knee injury. He played in basketball leagues for a while.
Thanks. I was wondering about it. I had to wear one for a while. I messed my knee up sliding into second base - on a grass field.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I loved Boston growing up, but it was so much studio work I always wondered how they could pull it off live. And as already pointed out, Boston was really just Tom and Brad's vox.

They came here last summer. I almost went but something got in the way. Would likely go if they came back around again. I wore those albums out on 8 track, then on cassette and have them on cd, though I haven't listened in a while, I can still sing those solos.

dc_jcm800

Gold Supporting Member
They play well live, though not particularity exciting. The overall sound is very processed as they all run thru Rockman gear so that make it a bit muddy/washed.
Gary Pihl is a good player and Tommy DeCarlo can hit the notes.

SomeGuy

Their live harmony is great now and I don't see the pretense that I see in a lot of these reconfigured classic band... Gotta love Tracy Ferrie and Beth Cohen.
Tracy is one of my favorite bass players, and Beth sings lead on a couple of songs that could be my favorite versions of those songs -- and I've heard them sung a lot!

Everyone in the band last summer and this summer sings harmony.

Trending Topics