Going to buy a Fender too, final questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, Feb 21, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

Decided that I would buy a fender amp too.

I am deciding between the Hotrod series, Super Sonic, Deluxe reverb.

I want a amp that I can play Jazz, rock(all kinds), Chet Atkins style, Rockabilly(Brain Setzer type), Blues.

I will be using a Gibson 335, Fender Bass VI, Tele, and a Jazzmaster. I will use effects too.

Ready to buy,

Help

2. In Tune

In Tune Member

From your description,, The new VM (vintage modified) Deluxe might be right up your alley. Great cleans, nice distortion as well. on board verb, chorus, delay,, Me like it.

3. g335

g335 Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not like modeling amps, even tube amps with DSP's on them. I like when amps have tremelo(VOX).

I am sure it is nice, but I dont like that way. Plus I have tons of cool pedals that I want to use:dude

How would you say the regular Deluxe Reverb is?

4. In Tune

In Tune Member

First off,, the VM Deluxe is NOT a modeling amp.. tubes all the way,,, it does have digital effects.... It even has an effects loop.......Moving on,, The Deluxe reverb is very popular, tons of people love it, If you havent heard it,, try you tube,, lots of samples to check out....,,Personally, I think the VM will be a HUGE hit. Enjoy!

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

if your gigging the hot rod deluxe or deville, had the deville for a while, now have the easy to carry hot rod deluxe, mine has a Vintage 30 which gets it nice and loud, and I am running jjs 6v6s to get it down to 22 watts around the house, really love 6v6s, the DRRI really had so many limititons, the hot rods have a much better clean tone than the supersonic IMO, really find their clean tone hard to beat, the od and more od, I personally like but some people can not seem to figure out how to use the guitar volume to set the more od on the amp. They do take pedals, I have a mesa v-twin, the effects loop on the hot rods is great, I don't expect the drri to have one, its similar to my vibralux custom I expect.

6. g335

g335 Member

Hotrods can cover Brian Setzer style rockabilly?

7. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

Based only on your list of guitars (nice!) I'd recommend the Deluxe Reverb.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I liked the Supersonic a lot. Very versatile, but like a lot of Fender amps, it likes to be cranked to sound its best, especially on the clean channel.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You can buy an SFDR (PTP),for less than 1000$...

11. jpage

jpage Member

Not many decent ones left @ that price...

12. amp boy

amp boy Member

get a Clark amp.
    get some quality.
    Clark bar !!!
    hahaha.....

13. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Supporting Member

I'd normally recommend the Deluxe Reverb for that range of sounds, but the Bass VI is a red herring: if you want a clean sound from that one, you're probably going to need a higher efficiency speaker (e.g., the Weber Cali or NeoMag) to handle the lows than the 50w which comes stock in the DRri.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Find a US Made 90s Blues Deville or Deluxe... Super tones and handles pedals well.

15. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

16. Bottle_Rocket

Bottle_Rocket Member

I own a Blues Deville 4x10 and a DRRI. The DRRI has it hands down. Definitive fender clan and great OD when you crank it. The Reverb and Tremolo define those sounds.

The Deville is way loud to get a good OD and the clean is not anywhere near the real Fender sound. The reverb is a bit anemic as well.

The hot rod stuff has crummy OD sounds.

You will never grow out of what a Deluxe can do. If you can only own one amp the Deluxe Reverb is the choice.

17. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

I would stay away from the Hot Rod series, I had the Deville and it was good for my first Fender amp but there are a lot of Fender amps that are much better.

The Deluxe I had was great but always sounded "boxy" to me. I find this true in any amp with only one speaker.

Never used the other amp mentioned.

The old Fender heads, Black Face, like the Tremolux, Bandmaster and Bassman are still very affordable I would look into one of them and then look into high end effects to get Reverb or Tremolo (as Leo called it).

18. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

that bandmaster vm and the deluxe vm are freakin' amazing amps. the snappiest, most punchy fender i've heard for that price in years.

19. g335

g335 Member

Maybe I will have to get a 2nd amp for the Bass VI.

I do not like amps that have built in digital effect systems(having chorus or tremolo is fine analog type)
    The VM series I wonder if it is completely tube. Plus I already have effects so I would not use the ones on the amps.

The old BF amps are good? If they are good why do people still buy the new ones, and why doesn't Fender keep the specs the same on the reissues?

So I would need a Bassman or Super Sonic if I wanted to cover Brian Setzer's style rockabilly?

Does anyone like the Hotrod series?

Thanks for the replys. I will try to find old Fenders to try out, but I am in Japan so maybe hard to find.

Please keep your suggestions coming.

20. Bottle_Rocket

Bottle_Rocket Member

The specs on the new are the same as the old but it is not PTP wiring because of cost.

People buy the new because of the $$$ of the vintage ones and how hard they are to find.

Deluxe Reverbs are not "boxy". Open back cab and the best tone you have ever heard from one 12" speaker.