Going to college and --

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aT19er, Feb 17, 2012.

1. aT19er

aT19er Member

I'm pretty sure I can't take my half stack with me. Looking for some advice for what others have fine when making the switch.

I'm thinking about:
    A- Getting a little amp, like a Fender Champion 600 and having fun modding it a little.
    B- Getting a 1x12 cab or something like and bringing my current amp head to use with it.
    C- Taking my stack anyway

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

Get a used Roland Cube 30 or similar. Very reasonable price, lots of versatility and good tone. Plues, you can keep the volume low when you need too and still have fun. Plug in your MP3 play to jam along, or headphones if required.

3. hilux

hilux Member

BRING THE STACK

dorms are supposed to be loud anyway

4. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I had my '59 Bassman RI at school. I had some fun times blasting it out the windows in the quad jamming with friends. I was on a first name basis with campus security.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

My first year in college I lived in a suite arrangement where there were 4 rooms with two people each. At least one person in every room played guitar. Noise wasn't really a problem as we were all making it. Space was the issue. Dorm rooms are typically tiny. A couple beds, two desks, and a little refrig./microwave and it's full. None of us had anything bigger than small combos. I would suggest getting an inexpensive modelling amp for this reason and also because people steal in dorms. A lot.

6. tnt365

tnt365 Member

7. aT19er

aT19er Member

Besides the Roland 30, are there any others I should keep an eye out for?

8. tnt365

tnt365 Member

My freshman year a dorm-mate had a Valvetronix that he made sound pretty damn good.

9. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

What is your "current head"? Is it a master volume amp with a decent MV? Any non-master volume tube amp is probably going to be too loud if you want it to give up the goods, e.g., that Fender Champion 600.

I have a 100w tube amp that has an awesome MV... I can get really good tones, imho, at really low volumes. But it's fairly large (2x12) and pretty heavy (68lbs.). As someone else pointed out... dorm rooms usually present some space constraints.

Low price option: Vox Pathfinder. A really great amp.

More expensive option: Tech 21 Trademark 30 - yeah, more expensive, but many more tones and features, e.g., real spring 'verb, xlr direct out, headphone jack that doubles as a 1/4" direct out. A really great amp, too.

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd probably take a Mustang II unless I wanted battery-power capability. The II sounds WAY bigger than the Mustang I/Vox DA5/Micro Cube etc and sounds absolutely great through the headphone jack AND the USB offers silent recording if there's any chance that'll come in handy.

And I'm sure college has changed a lot since I was there, but I'd strongly suggest you take/buy an acoustic. I cannot convey how much I would suggest this unless you're engaged in which case I'd highly suggested you NOT have an acoustic.

11. exrunnerguitarist

exrunnerguitarist Member

I'm a freshman in college and have an AC30 with no master volume which means it's cranked 24/7 and the people on my floor don't mind hearin' in roar! Bring the stack man!

12. aT19er

aT19er Member

I've always wanted to get a 100watt Marshall... That's pretty close to an AC30 (volume wise), right?

13. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

I'm going to present another option. I'm guessing if you are going to college you'll have a computer of some sort? If so, I'd grab Guitar Rig 4 or 5 and some nice powered monitors for your computer. With headphones on you can get a great sound while everyone else around is cramming for the big test. If your speaker monitors are powerful enough you can get some great cranked amp-like tones. When college is over you will be able to buy a really nice amp again and still have a potent recording/creative tool.

14. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

NO. A 100w Marshall will absolutely swallow an AC30 volume wise. Both ate far too loud for dorm or apartment use. The loudest amps I've ever heard were a 100w Superlead Plexi and a 100w Hiwatt. Those are just insane!

15. aT19er

aT19er Member

Ya, no way I'm taking a Plexi with me; I can't get my 60w Mesa past 1 at home.