Going to Dallas in August, what guitar shops to visit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shanesiegle, Jun 23, 2016.

1. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I've been there before and went to a couple guitar centers, I think Arlington and can't remember the other. Anywhere I should go for sure?

2. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

The Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney

Chance, mbugbee, Garthhog and 2 others like this.
  3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Zoo music used to be kind of trippy years ago, but I don't know if they are still there or not.

deathrider817 likes this.
  4. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

As already mentioned

The Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney (Lots of boutique brands. Mesa, Tone King, Suhr, PRS, Fano, Tom Anderson, etc. You can see what they have on their website)
    Zoo Music in Garland (Wide selection of mainstream brands (Vox, Orange, Mesa, Fender, Marshall). They don't have a good website to see what they have but the selection is very good.)

Others
    Charley's Guitar in Dallas (Small selection but you can find some great vintage stuff. You can see what they have on the web.)
    Wicks Guitar Shop in Ft. Worth (I haven't been there in a while. They have some boutique brands. Their site is good.)

5. shanesiegle

6. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

What they said^
    Also guitar center in farmers branch probably has the best selection out of all the gc's in the area, they have all the friedman amps, SLO, etc.

gbyrnes77 likes this.
  7. logdrum

logdrum Member

Can you visit Austin while you are there?

8. shanesiegle

I don't think we will have time for that.

9. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

'Can you visit Austin while you are there?'.....good question....side story just for chuckles.
    I had a customer back in the '90's who was working for an insurance firm out of Chicago. His office was in Texarkana....as the name states Texarkana is at the junction of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. His main office in Chicago called to say that a client in El Paso had some major damage of some sort...and they wanted this agent to drive over and take a look at things. He told them..."NO, I can't drive over there. I could fly over there!" The home office didn't realize that his fellow could have driven from Texarkana to Chicago in less time than he could have driven from Texarkana to El Paso. There is quite a bit of ground between some cities in Texas.
    That said....I do advise that if possible one visit Austin while in Texas....

shanesiegle likes this.
  10. JDutch

JDutch Member

Zoo Music in Garland, TX is the most fun, IMO, music store in Dallas. Locally owed and operated, with cool stuff piled on top of other cool stuff, but as other people have mentioned, the website's not great and the experience will be inventory dependent. This is a place where you can still get a deal if they have something you want. They have another shop about 10 minutes away from the Garland, TX location in the Lakewood part of Dallas.

Guitar Sanctuary is great. Much newer, cleaner, prettier than Zoo Music, but less mojo. If you time it right, you could go to Guitar Sanctuary during the day, eat dinner in charming, historic downtown McKinney in the evening, then see a show at The Sanctuary, Guitar Sanctuary's event space, that evening. I've seen Guthrie Govan, David Grissom and Eric Gales there, and I don't think I paid more than $20/ticket.

Tone Shop Guitars in Addison, TX is very close to Guitar Center. Nice, big store. Good selection of inventory, and knowledgeable, polite staff. I don't remember seeing any super high-end stuff, but if you're looking for a Fender, Reverend, G&L, Martin or Taylor guitar or a Fender, Dr. Z or Vox amplifier, this is a great place to stop.

Guitar Center, Farmers Branch is still a Guitar Center, but the employees are nice and knowledgeable, and I haven't seen a Guitar Center with better inventory outside of the Union Square, New York City location.

Sam Ash is a typical large-sized Sam Ash, but not bad at all.

The Guitar Center in Dallas is awful, unless you need strings or something. I think Charley's used to be something special years ago (before I moved to Dallas), but things have changed.

KeLynne and shanesiegle like this.
  11. deathrider817

deathrider817 Supporting Member

Zoo music at corner of East Grand avenue and Garland road,but they are pretty proud of their gear,cost reflects that! Farmers Branch Guitar center..Arlington Guitar center,the manager Bruce and guitar tech PJ are top notch!

shanesiegle likes this.
  12. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    FYI - Zoo Music in Garland is only open Fridays and Saturdays. If you have an aversion to mold I would give all three of the Zoo's a pass - they flat out reek.

Russ

13. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Yeah you might suffer some severe sticker shock at Zoo Music. They also tend to have that same dead-eye stare you see from vendors at any guitar show when their stuff isn't selling. So be warned beforehand so you'll know you just have to pry an answer out of them if you ask them a question.

Charlie's has changed radically over the years but it's great if you like really old stuff. Very friendly staff and they do know their stuff.

Guitar Sanctuary has a top-of-the-line equipment and is not a typical guitar shop by any stretch of the imagination. Nice place to shop so check it out.

14. shanesiegle

Thanks for the warning!

15. deathrider817

deathrider817 Supporting Member

I didn't know about the mold on Garland rd..been a while since I have been there. .20+ yrs ago I bought a USA Jackson Randy Rhoads V and a Carvin SX 400 SS head..the Rhoads was interesting, I have never seen another one like it..so sometimes they have some off the wall gear, but pricey! Charlies guitar shop like said above they know their gear and very knowledgeable, and friendly. Have fun in Big D !

16. jojo

jojo Member

I'll second Tone Shop in Addision. Great dudes, former GC employees who started their own store.

rdodson, LPMojoGL and shanesiegle like this.
  17. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Hey buddy! When ya coming down?

My fav places here are:
    Tone Shop in Addison. They have free beer, great pedals, G&L, Divided by 13 and Nash stuff. My fav place to shop, lately. Ask for Doty.
    Farmers Branch Guitar Center just down the road from there. Bogner, Soldano and Friedman amps usually in stock. Robby in the amp room can make ya a good deal.
    Arlington GC is newly remodeled and has some good stuff. Ask for Bonner.
    Sam Ash in Dallas is nice. They had some 3 Monkeys and 65 Amps stuff for sale last time I was in.
    Guitar Sanctuary is a bit up the road, but worth the drive if you have the time. They have the upper end Charvel stuff, as well as Suhr and some other brands you never get to see anywhere.

rdodson likes this.
  18. les_paul

les_paul Member

The last time I was in Dallas for leisure I made the (four hour) trek to Austin. Texas is a huge state. I could see how it would be hard to get to Austin from Dallas if you were on a time schedule and primarily driving.

On a side note, Charley's had a sweet Les Paul Recording the last time I was there. As stated, they're small but worth the venture. They had some really good prices on stuff that's less desirable to their target market. They had an Ibanez RG570 and a bunch of sweet pedals that I was looking at. I ended up buying a few pedals for much better prices than I could find where I live.

19. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

I just bought my So-Cal from the tone shop in Addison what a cool place and prices are great and Tommy is a super cool guy. But guys are right about Austin Guitar Rez, Austin guitar house and Austin vintage are some of the best stores in America. I think Austin guitar house is a bucket list store.

rdodson likes this.
  20. shanesiegle

First week in August and I'm gonna look you up. Maybe we can meet up at a shop or something. Short trip and bringing the family so I'm not 100% sure how much time I will have. We will be in Grand Prairie, not sure where some of these places are in relation to that.