1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Going to experiment with KT88 tubes...never had any...what do I need to know???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clay49, May 16, 2011.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

I've got an Egnater Renegade head that I may want to try some KT88 tubes in, but I've never used KT88's before.

Tell me what to look for, both NOS and new production, good, bad, ugly...give me the scoop!

I prefer clear, articulate sounds (play mostly OD mode), so steer me toward the ones that are crispy and snappy, not dark or murky.

Thanks!

2. clay49

How 'bout it, boys?

3. small axe

small axe Member

kt88s are 6550 in the us. great tubes. can find a good variety of nos at www.kcanostubes.com but they are expensive. great clear tone and can be pushed real hard. 70s marshalls that can stateside had them in em. good luck

4. clay49

Yeah...I'm having sticker shock as I enter this "neighborhood" for the first time. Matched quads running anywhere from $150-$500 for new production...I don't think I'm even going to consider NOS!

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a louis Electric amp I'll be sending to him for repairs soon as I can afford it . (Just bought traded 3 guitars)[​IMG] Anyhow Its running 6L6's and I was going to have him switch over to EL34's, but I'm going to see if i could go KT's myself. I think I may stick with KT66's though. What is the difference really between 66' 77's and 88's? :huh

6. clay49

I haven't a clue...hopefully someone more knowledgeable will meander by any moment and take us to school on this!!!:aok

7. xtian

xtian Member

I played a JJ KT88 in my SEL. Very nice...but didn't compare it to any others!

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of KT66's.....The KT88 has even more headroom...Very clean and big sounding

9. clay49

Still trollin'....

10. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Roughly:

British American (designation)
    KT66 = 6L6
    KT77 = EL34
    KT88 = 6550

KT88/6500s are a different animal. There aren't many other tubes that can put out 100w per pair.

11. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

A lot of guys like the Gold Lion KT88s though I haven't tried them myself.

I have a pair of newer Sovtek and a pair of Valve Art KT88s. I like both just fine and never saw the need to send more on anything else.

12. Anolin

Anolin Member

I have the Renegade 212 combo and I put Penta kt88's from Dougstubes in the EL34 side of the amp and I've noticed more low end and clarity with the tube blend turned all the way to the EL34 side. It makes the OD very thick but not muddy and I love it! Gotta love the ability to just swap, bias and play when it comes to tubes and the Renegade.

13. clay49

I'm contemplating doing a quad of KT88's in the Renegade, and leaving the tube blend right in the middle, ala fastredponycar (Drew)...I love his youtube clip with the quad of 88's.

14. Anolin

Anolin Member

I did that at first but decided I like the 6L6's on the left for my cleans... So now I have channel 1 with the tube blend all the way to the left for 6L6 cleans and channel 2 all the way to the right for KT88 dive/distortion.

15. lupa

lupa Member

I use a Marshall Major "bass" w/4 KT88; over the years and using many brands, my favorite for ability to handle the high voltages of the Major (600+V) and tone is Winged "C" and JJ. i am not to familiar with your amp but be sure you can fit them in the sockets side by side as they are fatter
    I have a Fargen miniplex and the tube sockets are too close so I can't fit two of them in side by side. They (KT88) will improve the tightnes of the bass (less flubb) mid are pretty neutral and the highs are chimey and not harsh. You will also have more headroom.

16. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I was using KT88's in a Frenzel 5E3 Deluxe a few years ago and they were my favorite tubes that I tried in that amp. I also had one in a THD Univalve way back when I had one of those. I don't have much for technical information about them, but KT88's and EL34's are my favorite tubes. lupa's description of the sound is pretty much how I remember them. Lots of headroom, tight bass and chimey highs.

17. lupa

lupa Member

I was just looking over the Renegade manual and I don't see that it can accept KT88, If it was me i would check with Egnater and make sure the PT can hand the B+ Voltage the KT88 will draw, as you could possibly plow the PT (power Transformer) and that would be a drag$.

18. clay49

Actually, I've heard of several who have done it...check this link: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=66162&start=0

And the end result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeoDBm3KRI

19. lupa

lupa Member

Out of curiosity i called Egnater and the tech I spoke with stated that KT88 will draw too much B+ voltage from the PT, and advised against installing KT88 into the renegade, that post you have is over one year old, I would like to know from that dude how long his amp worked, or how soon the KT88 gave out. i'm just trying to save you $ and grief, Call Egnater.

20. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Not quite. All the KTs are Kinkless Tetrodes and are therefore beam valves. The EL34 is indeed a European designation for a true power pentode. Had you put the 6CA7 in that slot you would have scored on all instances. :)