Going to install a bright cap switch tonight. Location Question:

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RockStarNick, Feb 9, 2012.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Hey guys. I have a Bogner Metropolis, that has bright cap wired across two lugs of the gain pot. It gets a *little* too edgy at low settings, so I'm planning on installing a mini-switch to flick the cap in/out.

I'd love to be able to use some of the unused, pre-drilled holes in the chassis. The problem is that they're located on the back panel.

Now, I've asked around, and heard that the bright cap should ideally be situated as close to the pot as possible.

I was thinking that I could either:
    A. run the wires around the perimeter of the chassis, making sure not to cross over any circuitry,
    or
    B. Use shielded wire (like the mini Mogami wire used for pedalboards).

Are either one of these viable solutions?

Or, should I just wire it up with the shortest path, fire it up, and see if there even IS a problem?

2. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

You could replace the gain pot with a push/pull pot and use the push/pull switch to switch the bright cap in and out of the circuit. No new holes required with this approach and the switch is right on the back of the pot so the wire lengths are short.

You just need to know what value the gain pot is. Probably a 1M audio pot.

3. dazco

dazco Member

Try different values or even a trimmer in series with the cap. you may find a cap value or trimmer setting that makes it so theres not too much at lower setting. If it's a .001uf cap, try a 250pf instead. Thats what worked for me. Some even use as small as 100pf, tho i find that a bit too small. But a .001uf will allow a LOT of treble and hi mids to pass and will indeed be bad at lower settings. A 250 pf will allow just the sparkle at the very top which won't make it too thin at low settings. You can also try a resistor in parallel to the cap. That makes a huge difference in retaining the lows but w/o getting muddy like no bleed circuit. May change the gain a bit, but quick and easy to try.