Going to Japan- Advice on Bringing a Guitar Back

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrispatel, Aug 7, 2008.

1. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

I will be heading to Nagoya Japan in the next few weeks. I am looking for some advice on bringing a guitar back in case I find something there.

I am flying business class from Japan to Korea to the US. If I purchase a guitar do you think I will be able to carry it on? If not, would it hurt to check it in a hard case. I travel quite a bit overseas on business and first and they seem to handle the bags better (not fair but true).

Any advice would be helpful.

2. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

Went to Japan in April. Business class as well. Best thing to do is count it as a carry on and store it in an overhead bin.

3. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

I thought the same but it seems like the overhead bins on United are all deep but squatty. I am sure it won't fit. Maybe the stewards would be kind enough to store it...

4. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Member

carrying on and placing on the overheads is a good idea.

but checking in may have it's own advantages as well. because if i'm not wrong, your guitar (if checked in) will be covered by airline insurance. but do check with united first on this.

5. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I moved to Japan and brought my guitars with me. Usually there is not any space to bring a guitar as a carry on. Too big. I have traveled 3 different airlines to Japan.
    Get a flight case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used a hardshell Fender guitar case and my guitar still got scratched up.
    Get a flight case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Make sure you have them put fragile on the case and make dash to the bag claim once you land. Busy!!!
    Dont forgot about customs too.

6. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

i flew northwest... my band carriesd on two guitars and a bass and just stored them in the overheads without a problem. northwest actually suggested that on their website, so you might check the united site as well and see if they have any info.