Going to see Mark Farner tomorrow!

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
He's playing with Chuck Negron from 3 Dog Night,The best vocalist from that band in my opinion. They are at the Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL.
www.oshows.com.
Ironically, I'm going with my brother-in-law, who was my best friend when I was 14 & attended my first concert with, Grand Funk, of course!
I'll let you know how it was...hope somebody cares...:D;):)

Tony

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
two separate bands? That's a couple of hi powered vocalists there, I've always considered Mark to be one of the more underrated pipes in the business. Chuck from TDN should need no introduction either but I will anyway Kids, he's from an old '60s/'70s group called Three Dog Night, scary good vocals. I wasn't into them so much because they weren't known for guitar music as much as I would have liked, kind of pop oriented but some incredible arrangement and production.

That ought to be a good show, enjoy it. I wouldn't mind seeing Mark although I doubt if I'd get as much GFR if any as I'd like

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
poor guy.
No, I'm a lucky guy.
It was a great show. Both Negron & Farner were in fine voice. Farner did ALL GFR songs from early to later hits, with the keyboard player singing the Dud Brewer parts. There were only 3 drawbacks, all in the Farner set.
1 - The sound guy did a pretty lousy job. For both acts actually.
2 - Farner used a Parker Fly & reminded me how much I hate their tone. His preference, but not mine!
3 - The guy behind me singing/yelling loud & off key practically in my ear.
I couldn't see the amps the guitarists were using, as they were off stage, but I believe I saw a silverface Fender combo off to the side of the stage during Farner's set. Afterward they both were in the lobby to sign autographs, take pictures & have a brief word with fans.
All-in-all a fun night in a nice small(900 seat) venue.

Tony

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
Mark uses 2 Twins, most of the time rentals in each city. He carries his own tubes that he switches out, then switches them back after the show. He uses the Fly mainly for back issues, otherwise he says he literally couldn't play. Considering his age, his pipes are amazingly strong!

BKL71

I saw Farner back in 2003 and he sounded great. His set was 100% Grand Funk songs, much to the delight of the audience. At that show, his backline was Peavey 5150 amps and he played a red Parker Fly. Back then, that guy hadn't lost a step! His vocals and guitar playing were spot on. I'm glad to hear he can still "bring it" live!

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
He still has the pipes & is quite animated while performing. He was NOT shirtless...but appeared to be in excellent shape. As for Negron, if I look half as good as he does at 74 years old...I'd look twice as good as I do now! They were both very friendly & accommodating after the show.

Tony

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Yeah, he's always been a great under rated singer and he wrote most of the Grand Funk catalog. I'd like to see him too. :beer

illinimax

Old thread here I realize but if you get a chance to catch Mark Farner by all means don't hesitate. Caught him last night in the Chicago area. Dude rocks has a$$ off, sings and plays all the Grand Funk hits and has a terrific band backing him up. Sadly, not a big crowd but it didn't phase him at all guy is a total pro.

stimpson

saw the rest of the grand funk band last year in Topsfield. the guy from 38 special was singing with them

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
saw the rest of the grand funk band last year in Topsfield. the guy from 38 special was singing with them
After what I read repeatedly about the split & what & how it was done, I refuse to put any money in the pockets of the other former Funkers. Pretty ****** stuff that makes the Eagles conflicts pale by comparison.

Tony

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
Old thread here I realize but if you get a chance to catch Mark Farner by all means don't hesitate. Caught him last night in the Chicago area. Dude rocks has a$$ off, sings and plays all the Grand Funk hits and has a terrific band backing him up. Sadly, not a big crowd but it didn't phase him at all guy is a total pro.
Did you see him at the Arcada?

Tony

sleepingtiger

Silver Supporting Member
Ribfest Naperville
He's been hangin' out in this neck of the woods a lot lately. I'm pretty sure he's been at the Arcada in St. Charles twice since I started this thread & that's not counting the time I saw him. FWIW, the Arcada in a really nice venue which holds 900 & I like it because old farts like me actually get SEATS! They have a lot of guitar related shows too, like Malmstein, Hoey, Uli Jon, along with a bunch of older bands like Kansas, Smithereens etc. too. Nice affordable restaraunts, free parking, easy to access. It's about time we had a place like that around here!
Just an FYI, not affiliated.

Tony

illinimax

He's been hangin' out in this neck of the woods a lot lately. I'm pretty sure he's been at the Arcada in St. Charles twice since I started this thread & that's not counting the time I saw him. FWIW, the Arcada in a really nice venue which holds 900 & I like it because old farts like me actually get SEATS! They have a lot of guitar related shows too, like Malmstein, Hoey, Uli Jon, along with a bunch of older bands like Kansas, Smithereens etc. too. Nice affordable restaraunts, free parking, easy to access. It's about time we had a place like that around here!
Just an FYI, not affiliated.

Tony
Great place to see a show. Caught a set of blues upstairs in the speakeasy ... very nice.

bob-i

I've seen that band too, Max Karl sang in 38 special for a time and had one hit "Second Chance". Strong vocalist and a good fit in GFR.

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
Opened for Farner a few years ago. His amps were 2 reissue Twin Reverbs. One was ran through a Hartke 1x15 bass cab. He had a few fuzz pedals and a DL4

Trending Topics