• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Going to see Squarepusher's band, Shobaleader One?

ksandvik

Have not found info about the SF event yet, guess it just opened up.... Oh, it's the Shobaleader the band. Sat 17 in SF.

You can't go wrong with any of his album releases.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
My favorites Squarepusher records are Music Is Rotted One Note, Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy, but I like almost everything he's done. Shobaleader One is an actual band and their record is really great.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Had my head blown off last night. Can't tell you in words how great it was. Simply stunning musicanship--the drummer was unbelievable and so is Tom Jenkinson on bass, but the guitarist was a great surprise. His chordal work was great, and he had an extended solo that really delivered. Tremendous Strat through Fender Bassman sound. The sound is hip enough, it can fit in even in a modern context.

Do not miss this show!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Steely Dan meets Daft Punk. Pass.
pshaw; nope. nah! blah blah.
history is history, not confined to a lack of informed context (for comparisons) and/or knowledge of that very history.

listen to the solo records from which this material is derived; you're not likely to hear steely dan there, but you will hear that daft punk def pulled lotsa useful souvenirs from tom jenkinson's long-standing trunkful of musically original memorabilia.

i'm not posting this one for comparison at all, but because it's still my favorite of the "chill"-pieces from his first "near-pop" period, 16yrs ago:

Last edited:

splatt

Had my head blown off last night. Can't tell you in words how great it was. Simply stunning musicanship--the drummer was unbelievable and so is Tom Jenkinson on bass, but the guitarist was a great surprise. His chordal work was great, and he had an extended solo that really delivered. Tremendous Strat through Fender Bassman sound. The sound is hip enough, it can fit in even in a modern context.

Do not miss this show!
i'll miss it, unless i can see them in UK or EU in jan-feb.....

splatt

The drummer in this band is the only other guy besides John Stanier who can do "insane electronic patterns played on acoustic drums".
i dig the band, too, but that just ain't true at all.

splatt

^you know, just about any time I bother to contribute to the conversation on this page, someone manages to make me regret it.
sorry! no need to feel offended?!?
i dug everything else you said, fwiw.
and, looked at from an entirely different perspective, well..... you might maybe could discover & enjoy some new-to-you players?
maybe.

dave king.
jo jo maier.
will calhoun.

here's my friend & sometimes bandmate dave, recorded live in the studio with his own band "the bad plus" playing an Aphex Twin song, around 2006-2007; he does stretch it further out, when live in concert:

etc.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom