• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Going to see the Dead this Saturday!

amstrtatnut

My mom lives in Santa Clara, so its an excuse to see her too. I believe Im somewhere in a nose bleed section, but Im really looking forward to it.

In a side not, Ive rad a lot of dislike for Trey and Im not super familiar with him. Im curious how he does. Im sure he is competent, but it will be interesting to see what he does.

On another side note, Ive never been a Bruce Hornsby fan but Ill deal with it.

Anyone else going? :)

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
My mom lives in Santa Clara, so its an excuse to see her too. I believe Im somewhere in a nose bleed section, but Im really looking forward to it.

In a side not, Ive rad a lot of dislike for Trey and Im not super familiar with him. Im curious how he does. Im sure he is competent, but it will be interesting to see what he does.

I had a couple of tickets but I decided to sell them. I'm going to watch the webcast.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Just found out there'll be a viewing party at the Independent, here in the city for Sunday's show. That should be fun. Then, I'm headed to Chicago for the Friday & Saturday shows.

Yeah, I think everyone is dying to rip into Trey about how he played the wrong this or that on such & such a song. The internet will probably explode! Er um uh, split open and melt, I meant to say. ;)

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going both days. Seats aren't great, but my mom lives a couple miles from Levi's and it will be quite an event...

dougb415

The stage setup is looking really nice. Great to see Candace's lights again, and the new Meyer Sound PA is just the s**t!

I'll be watching from the other side of the country. But I have to say that Trey is beyond competent and Hornsby may possibly be the best musician on the stage (not to make it a competition, just sayin') and is always a pleasure to listen to.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Jerry's not coming back from the dead (pun intended), and Trey is as good a player out there in that style as there is. You could get other guys to do the gig, but Trey is one of the closest to what JG used to do, imo.

Bruce is one of the best musicians out there. Anyone grumbling about this line up can't use their playing ability as a basis for their complaints.

LJD

Seeing John Mayer play with Phil Lesh got me excited for this. Mostly because he didn't sound "just like" Jerry. They could get someone like Stu Allen to mimic Jerry beautifully, but there's something more interesting about having someone else's take on that position rather than mimic. I also hope they play Standing on The Moon at some point and they lean towards Bruce Hornsby's version. Enjoy the shows!!!

amstrtatnut

Just got back. Lots of really old stuff in this show. Some of it I didnt recognize.

Trey was excellent.

Micky Hart went a little overboard with the beam.

Lots and lots of jamming. I think they may not have played ten songs.

Fun was had. People were in good spirits. Levis stadium is posh for a stadium. Staff super helpful too.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
There are a couple on YT. Uncle John's Band & St. Stephen. Search with 2015 in the title.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Watched the webcast last night through a great sound system. Gotta say, I'm super impressed. I think that the first set was kind of rocky...an hour long and then an hour break. The second set was superb IMO. The trotted out some songs that I haven't heard them play since 1970. Trey did a fantastic job, much better than I thought he would do. Bob Weir wasn't at his best and it was obvious that he's in some physical pain. These five nights will probably be a retrospective of different eras. Last night was the Anthem of the Sun/Aoxomoxoa. Tonight will probably be the '70-'72 era.

jakethesnake

I figured since Phil was doing the year by year thing at his place that these shows would all just cover all eras of the Dead.

roadfilm

Holy smokes, I just looked up the setlist. I got goose bumps reading the second set. How did the vocals sound? Did Hornsby sing any leads?

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Holy smokes, I just looked up the setlist. I got goose bumps reading the second set. How did the vocals sound? Did Hornsby sing any leads?
Some of the vocals were excellent, the harmonies that were practiced. But some of it was uneven and Weir flubbed a part and tried to wave it off. If he had a Tivo control he would have rewound it for a second try. I'd never seen a professional musician try to end a song in the middle after he flubbed a vocal part. Kind of embarrassing for Bob. I felt sorry for him in a way. IMO, they should have let Hornsby and Trey handle more of the vocals instead of Lesh, although I think that Lesh's voice has improved. Maybe he has a voice coach?

Hornsby had only one lead vocal, the encore of Casey Jones.

I have the five day pass for the webcast. A lot of great music in store for those who watch and listen. Try to do it on a good sound system and you will not be disappointed. And, best of all, you don't have to drive home high as a kite after the show.

Trending Topics