Going to see the only Flying B29 tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sixty2strat, May 29, 2015.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw on the news the last Flying B29 is visting Philly and flying at 9AM and 10:30 Saturday and Sunday. I've seen B52 take off and B17 but never a 29. They are giving rides but right now 1575.00 to ride in the Bombardier's spot is too pricey this year. Not sure if I should use my old 35mm or POS cell, as I'll try to get some pics of the inside. They have a B24 and a Helldiver too

Jon@Home, teledude55 and smcgov like this.
  2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I bought my father a ride in a B-17 for Father's Day and went along for the ride. My father was a WWII history buff and majored in history in college. He was suffering from the early effects of Alzheimers at the time, but he really enjoyed himself during the flight. I had a great time as well.

3. Fred132

Fred132 Member

B-29 is "FIFI", right?

4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Soon to be another... Just awesome.

Rimbaud and GasMask like this.
  5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Well went and got some video on my cell of the engines starting and the taxi, they had to use a runway at the far end of the field so got nothing there. The guys getting coffee or gas at the wawa must have freaked to have seen a B29 come roaring over as it's right at the end of the runway across the fence. Pretty amazing how much it bounced on taxi, and the screech of the breaks was almost hiwatt loud. They shut off the 2 outer engines. I'm guessing the pull of the 4 was too much to control. The Engines were massive out of proportion to any other WWII aircraft I've seen, photos don't do it justice. Truly stunning to have seen, a mission by the 20th AF must have been a thing to see

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

The Helldiver was awesome . Except the know it all telling the pilot the devastor and dauntless were almost the same plane and were both dive bombers and how awful the Helldiver was to fly. Funny how guy who flew 2 of the 3 disagreed and armchair general would not accept it. Guess he's a TGP member, in my basement a champ is gigable

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

The Helldiver only one of 2 and the only flying one

ACfixer likes this.
  8. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

9. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

10. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

My Dad was training in a B-29 during WWII. The war ended just before he saw any action. Left-rear gunner?