• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Going to try my hand at a Partscaster build

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I realized I do need a dedicated SSS strat style guitar in my arsenal with more "vintage" amenities. So I bought a loaded strat style body from a fellow TGP'r and a Warmoth CBS style neck and assorted parts and see if I can't get it to work like it should. I really wanted another Suhr, but my budget does not allow for it at this time. This will also be a first for me in that the body has a relic finish. Again, something that I usually wouldn't get, but beggars can't be choosers....lol.

Here is the body:

The neck is a Warmoth showcase CBS style headstock one piece maple neck. 6100 standard nickel frets, 10-16 compound radius. I bought hipshot staggered locking tuners. I look forward to getting my feet wet on this...

JJ321

That color is great! It's definitely addicting to put together your own guitars. I started about five years ago and have five partscasters now. I try to keep it to one per year so that I don't end up with dozens of them and they're more thought out, not just stuff that I thought looked cool on the Warmoth site.

mikebat

Great color! Good luck on that build!

I have been so tempted to do this over the years.....

A Jazzmaster body....as an Esquire? Or with two Filtertrons?

rauchman

Welcome to the addicting world of the partscaster. You're setup is looking fantastic!

I've built a Warmoth Tele last year, and am in the process of doing the 2nd one (Warmoth Hybrid Tele). While there are some great guitars out there, I've found there is a certain satisfaction in playing a guitar that has some personal mojo in it. I'd rather put my money towards a guitar that I spec out, do the finish on, solder (badly) the electronics, do the action on, etc, vs a store bought instrument.

Current build...

Hybrid new neck.jpg

rauchman

Nice! I put this one together earlier this year. Warmoth body (I did the binding and painting), mighty mite neck, TV Jones classic in the neck, Lollar 52 in the bridge. It was a lot of fun and it sounds great and plays phenomenally.

Beautiful. How did you do the binding? I've thought of doing it, but think I'd be in over my head.

bsacamano

Beautiful. How did you do the binding? I've thought of doing it, but think I'd be in over my head.
I contacted Warmoth and asked them to not round over the edges of the body (like they typically would) so I could route the channel for the binding. I then ordered the router bit, binding, binding scraper, tape, and binding adhesive on stewmac.

With my router table, routing for the binding was actually actually pretty straightforward. I then glued it on and taped it to dry with the top edge of the binding being a little proud so I could sand it smooth.

I then taped off the binding and painted the body. I still had to scrape the binding A little but that was pretty easy too.

PatriotBadger

To those regularly building with Warmoth necks - are you doing any additional fret work? Level, crown, rounding ends etc?

I'm about to receive my first Warmoth neck here shortly. Got a full set of fret tools and know how to use 'em, just wondering what to expect.

bsacamano

To those regularly building with Warmoth necks - are you doing any additional fret work? Level, crown, rounding ends etc?

I'm about to receive my first Warmoth neck here shortly. Got a full set of fret tools and know how to use 'em, just wondering what to expect.
I went with Mighty Mite for my tele neck and it’s phenomenal. It fit the warmoth body perfectly and the fretwork is impeccable. I’m comparing it to the neck on my American deluxe telecaster when I say it’s phenomenal.

rauchman

The neck comes from Warmoth pretty ready to play. I did do additional work to round edges, polish and what not, but in my situation, and others I've read about, the neck can be played out of the box.

Trending Topics