• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Going to try my hand at a Partscaster build

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
The neck comes from Warmoth pretty ready to play. I did do additional work to round edges, polish and what not, but in my situation, and others I've read about, the neck can be played out of the box.
If I have issues with mine, I'll just send it to Rick Graham to finish and set up. He is my local go to guy. His work is impeccable!

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Loaded body came in, tuners and various other parts are in. Now the wait from Warmoth for the neck....

Reactions: Roe

Jecht

Waiting is the hardest part. I have at least another month before I get anything from Warmoth, but it will more than likely be longer. I should have at least picked an ugly finish so I wouldn't be so excited about it. lol

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Waiting is the hardest part. I have at least another month before I get anything from Warmoth, but it will more than likely be longer. I should have at least picked an ugly finish so I wouldn't be so excited about it. lol
haha! Now there's a strategy I have never thought of!

"Hello...Warmoth? Yes, I would like a Strat replacement body in Baby Poo Brown. And please....take your time."

PatriotBadger

I have a bass body and neck on order. I like to approach build times like this - fire off the order and forget about it. It'll show up when it shows up. That approach alleviates a little pain.

CanuckChris

Waiting is the hardest part...especially if you live in Canada. Just got this beauty in the mail after MJT shipped it over a month ago. Sat for about 2 weeks in customs. Same thing with the Suhr loaded pickguard I ordered. Likely the same when I order the neck for it. Being patient and picking parts that go well together with this partscaster.

Jecht

I found out by chance today that my order is ready to ship! I'd say 5 week turn around for a custom body with paint and custom neck is excellent. With any luck you won't have much longer to wait for your neck. :)

metrokosmiko

I realized two things on my journey down the parts rabbit hole.

1) The perfect guitar for you does exist.
2) The perfect guitar for you is unachievable.

Have fun but don't obsess. It'll cost you a lot of money.

Verne Andru

Enjoy your journey.

I've come to view Stratocasters like busses - wait a bit and another will come along. So I took the long-road approach and built my Frankenstrat over time. It started with the lawn-sale E-series Squier that was trashed. Body got replaced, the pickups, trem and machines. Took years but since I always went with the best that came along at the time (on sale or whatever) I ended up with a fabulous and unique instrument put together for nickels and dimes.

royd

I’ve done three... and each taught me more of what I want, what would meet my needs. Back in the day Carvin sold a very nice kit that made a great foundation for a partscaster. The wood parts were quite good, the hardware OK, and the pickups were Carvins... You could upgrade from their menu and/or add outside parts and end up with a very nice guitar. Kiesel didn’t continue that product.

A second path is to search for a partscaster that has some parts you want, keep those and swap out the rest. Because resale on partscasters is not the best, this can be a way to save some money on the project. My 2nd partscaster was that type of project. Because the parts I swapped out were all high quality, I was able to sell them for more than the replacements I wanted.

As @metrokosmiko said, it will cost more than you wanted and as others said, resale is not good... but it is fun and you can get a very nice guitar that is very close to what you want In the end. And it is your guitar.

k tone

To those regularly building with Warmoth necks - are you doing any additional fret work? Level, crown, rounding ends etc?

I'm about to receive my first Warmoth neck here shortly. Got a full set of fret tools and know how to use 'em, just wondering what to expect.
I just got a 59 Roundback, CBS headstock, compound radius, SS 6150 frets, maple board. I rubbed on some poly, dullled it with Scotchbrite slapped it on my 79 Strat and it was perfect. One of my favourite players.

PatriotBadger

I just got a 59 Roundback, CBS headstock, compound radius, SS 6150 frets, maple board. I rubbed on some poly, dullled it with Scotchbrite slapped it on my 79 Strat and it was perfect. One of my favourite players.
That's good news....I have tools and know how to use 'em, but I'd rather not have to.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Just hanging around waiting... For a neck...

View media item 231005
Funny thing happened yesterday. My girlfriend saw the body and asked me when I was going to get the paintjob fixed.... I had to explain the whole "relic" phenomenon. She didn't get it. She said it looked like a booger. She much prefers my Suhr guitar finishes....lol...

Trending Topics