• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Going to try my hand at a Partscaster build

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
That's good news....I have tools and know how to use 'em, but I'd rather not have to.
I've honestly assembled or modded over a hundred guitars from Warmoth parts, and I can tell you that most necks are reasonably playable out of the box, but some are not. Almost all the SS fretted necks I've dealt with needed work. Many necks had very sharp/uncomfortable fret ends.

Just do yourself a favor, and plan on shaping the fret ends, rolling the board edges, and doing a level/crown/polish. I keep hearing that the fretwork is better/more comfortable out if the box than it used to be, but just last week, I had to level a brand new W neck for a friend because of low frets at the 9th and 14th frets.

These are great parts that need finishing work, not true plug and play. To be fair, I've had to do similar work on Fender replacement necks recently, too.

-Mark

Jazz2Punk

CBS style, vintage/modern construction, 6100
Nickel frets, 10-16" compound radius, 22 frets. Vintage tint nitro finish. Maple...

Just need a "unleash the fury!" Waterslide decal.....lol...
Sounds sweet! Love the 10-14 radius on my Friedman S. Be cool to try the 10-16.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
To those regularly building with Warmoth necks - are you doing any additional fret work? Level, crown, rounding ends etc?

I'm about to receive my first Warmoth neck here shortly. Got a full set of fret tools and know how to use 'em, just wondering what to expect.
I’ve built two. Both came easily as ready to play as any main company guitar that I’ve picked up. But both did benefit from leveling (really pretty minor, I think my worst case was .002-.003 inches needed removing), and the fret ends really are nicer with extra dressing. I also did slight rolling. These are my first necks with stainless frets. I don’t think I’ll go back. Both nuts did need a good bit of work though.

bullet69

I’m starting my first partscaster build too! Waiting on a neck from Musikraft. They quoted a 12 week wait time. Oh well gives me plenty of time to find a body.

PatriotBadger

I’ve built two. Both came easily as ready to play as any main company guitar that I’ve picked up. But both did benefit from leveling (really pretty minor, I think my worst case was .002-.003 inches needed removing), and the fret ends really are nicer with extra dressing. I also did slight rolling. These are my first necks with stainless frets. I don’t think I’ll go back. Both nuts did need a good bit of work though.
This is surprising to me, since Warmoth pimps that they enter fret and neck dimensions into a slotting mahine to get an essentially perfect nut. No biggie to fix though. I was already planning to work the fret ends and level/polish anyway.

Roe

CBS style, vintage/modern construction, 6100
Nickel frets, 10-16" compound radius, 22 frets. Vintage tint nitro finish. Maple...

Just need a "unleash the fury!" Waterslide decal.....lol...
Fatback or boatneck or standard?

jvin248

Have you seen the Armstrong Blender mod? Second tone pot rolls from SSS into HSH. Just a wiring mod no new parts. I find it handy as I can dial up a little more thickness or if running series mode I can dial back a little more single coil bite.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member

Have you seen the Armstrong Blender mod? Second tone pot rolls from SSS into HSH. Just a wiring mod no new parts. I find it handy as I can dial up a little more thickness or if running series mode I can dial back a little more single coil bite.

I'll look into it, but I really wanted a straightforward strat tone, warts and all... The YJM pickups are pretty full sounding for single coil shaped stacks...

Paul Conway

Standard thin....
How thin is that? The numbers on the website suggest it's nowhere near as deep as an American Standard/pro strat or similar, which seems pretty damn thin to me.

Their choice of 10-16" for their standard radius seems very flat.

I really wish Warmouth would offer a straight-up copy of the American pro neck.

Trending Topics