gold foil neck / P90 Bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by analogsystem, May 6, 2015.

1. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Would a gold foil pickup (either vintage or lollar) in the neck work well with a P90 in the bridge position? Assuming phase and polarity is correct, they should hum cancel in the middle position, right?

What do you fine people think? This would be in a pine body / bolt on neck situation.
    Thanks!

2. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

I'm going to say no, but that depends on which incarnation of Goldfoil you're referring to. P-90's are hot, Teisco style Goldfoils are very low output. Rowe DeArmond Goldfoils on the other hand are dirty and nasty and hot which would probably work very well with a P-90.

In fact:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. e???

e??? Member

The lollar neck gold foil is 6.2k so most bridge p90's would be a slight boost, but nothing crazy. Most like their bridge pickups a little hotter anyways to get a slight boost. Should work great. A friend if mine just did this combo and loves it, but I've yet to hear it with my own ears

4. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

The P-90 by nature of it's construction will be far louder than the Goldfoil on top of being A LOT hotter. A P-90 at 8.5k is going to greatly overpower something at 6.2k in the neck. The Teisco style Goldfoils like the Lollar are known for being great clean pickups, P-90's are known for their anger and dirt.