Gold foil pickup in mini humbucker rout?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CrumbledFingers, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CrumbledFingers

CrumbledFingers Member

Hey, long time lurker here, finally joined as a member. :aok

I got an Eastwood Breadwinner guitar for Xmas and love the way it plays and feels. Sound-wise it is rather dull, despite having unique mini humbuckers that can be switched from active to passive... still flat and lifeless to my ears. I have always wanted to try a pickup in the vein of the old DeArmond single coils for that Ry Cooder tone, but I understand the vintage models are a bit taller and narrower than a standard mini humbucker slot. Do any current production pickups approach that "gold foil" sound in a mini hum size?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Hmm looked around and can't find any modern guys making them, other than Novak for a Jazzmaster pickup housing, which is even bigger. best bet is just to ebay for them, either the original dearmonds or the knockoff teiscos. they come in all shapes and sizes, as seen below:

[​IMG]

Anyhoo those will definitely require routing into your guitar, but hey they look cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

just buy the real deal - as Jahn pointed out

they can be had on Ebay all the time for under $100 and they really do sound great !!

[​IMG]

4. CrumbledFingers

CrumbledFingers Member

Maybe I'll go that route, but for now I just contacted Pete Biltoft to see if he had any ideas. He has made a number of mini HB sized single coils, not sure if they are more P90ish or what, but he makes great pickups so I'd imagine they sound good.