Gold Lace Sensor question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Apr 19, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm reinstalling the gold Lace Sensor bridge p/u that was originally mounted in my '88 Strat Plus. I've already soldered the two leads to the p/u selector and the back of the pot. But there is something I forgot about since I originally swapped p/u's. On the back of each of them, there is a solder point at each end with a wire connecting them. What is this for? I assume it's necessary.

By the way, the wire's solder point had broken off at one end, and once I fixed it, all those great, quacky Strat tones I'd been missing for so long had suddenly come back. (I had initially been thinking that it was just that I was getting sick of the Lace Sensors, or that they had become old and stale and had just lost their mojo after twenty years)

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Bumpetty bump-bump. Bump?

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Anybody? Banana Man is gettin' mighty lonely.
    :banana

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Sorry I don't know what the wire is for, but yes the Lace Sensors do have that quack in spades. I have an old Strat Plus and I don;t remember what I did with those pickups or why I changed them. Little Feat is one of my favorite bands ever and both Fred Tackett and Paul Barrere use lace sensor strats. Fine tones and great players.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

It's one of those things that's been bothering me since I originally swapped out the gold bridge LS for a red one. I'm thinking that maybe it's some kind of grounding wire or something. The Lace Sensors have some weird hum-cancelling stacked single coil design that I totally don't understand, but I love the way they sound. I have no clue what the wire is for, but I know that once I fixed it my guitar sounded great again

7. xhefri

xhefri Member

8. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

Strat Plus wiring diagrams are available on Fender's support site and there's a nice colour version on the Lace site...

http://lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/1.pdf

IIRC the green leads are a separate screen wire for the shielding on the sensor.

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, I'm sorry I can't help you, but I do have a question for you.
    Why are you putting the Gold Lace Sensor back in your bridge?
    I ask because I play an 88 Strat and I never used the bridge pup because I thought it sounded so thin. I thought about putting in a red but eventually just decided to replace all the pups with Custom Shop Fat 50s and I'm very glad I did.
    I'm just wondering what sound you're going for that the golds might give you that the reds could not.