Gold Lion KT88 RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clunk, May 11, 2008.

1. clunk

clunk Member

Has anyone tried these out? I'm looking to try it in a JCM 800 head.
    Any comments on these? Good or bad.

Clunk

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Good!

3. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Anybody tried them in a VHT 292?

4. clunk

clunk Member

Someone had mentiong that the kt66 RI had high failure rates at anything above 450v. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any bad experience with the KT88. If not, is the sound worth the price compared to other 88's?

Clunk

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Probably too soon to say. In general, a lot of New Sensor (the company that brings you Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Tung Sol Reissue, Mullard Reissue, Gold Lion Reissue) power tubes have difficulties above 450V.

I'm sure you'll get scattered praise for any of these on TGP but the reality is that there are lots of problems.

YMMV.

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Mike, have you heard or experienced negative things on the 88s? I know the 66s have had issues but I have heard nothing but good stuff from the 88s which I drive very hard in my Elmwood which is high voltage and have had no issues in my Two Rock Classic reverb in either Class A or AB when pushed for hours at high volume. Sounds good to me. Roger from RAM labs said the 88s test very close to the new reissues.

7. joelap

joelap Member

Could anyone compare these to the JJ KT88's? The price difference doesnt matter much in the scheme of things, but I'm concerned about the gold lion not being able to handle 500V.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

No I haven't heard anything bad yet, but the reports have been very minimal.

What's the plate voltage in your amp? Just because one or 10 pairs work ok doesn't mean that the other 100,000 are fine.

There have been times when I've waited a year, heard mostly good reports (here and other places) and certain tubes have still turned out to be dogs.

9. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

rebranded modern 6550's, poo poo

10. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Hi Mike,

I think the Elmwood is about 540 volts or maybe higher, I forget and it's at my rehearsal studio but it's in the 500s. I have a few pairs and three amps that can run 88s, I haven't had any issues yet but time will tell.

Thanks,

SS

11. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I've measured my M90 at about 585 volts plate, 400V screen. I have the Gold Lions in mine as well and no problems so far.

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Sounds right to me and I have had no problems with those Gold Lion Reissues and in fact they improved the sound in the Elmwood and perform flawlessly in my Two Rock and I will probably throw a pair in the VHT Sig X as I think they work great.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

400V on the screen may be the key. 99% of all guitar amps have the screen voltage tightly coupled with the plate voltage (Vplate -3 volts at best).

I'm still not convinced. Now we have, what, 4 examples that work? Even in a HORRIBLE run of tubes there are hundreds of "good" ones. Anything worse than 10% failures is horrible and enough to cause a lot of people a lot of grief.

They may be fine, there's just not enough evidence to prove that they are, yet.

14. Roe

Roe Member

A friend of mine that builds and designs amps praises the new genalex kt88 and the tung-sol 6550.

15. kendog

kendog Supporting Member

The Gold Lion KT88 reissues are among the best reissues out there. The key is to get them tested and matched by someone that knows their stuff. From my experience, they sound great and are very reliable.