Gold Lion Reissue KT-66's VS. JJ KT-66's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShredHeadJHJ, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

Don't mean to :horse but this will be my last Vs. thread for awhile. I'm going to order tubes tonight & I'm having a bit of trouble finding reviews on the Gold Lion Reissues... I know JJ's are great tubes, but I'm wondering how they compare?

2. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

3. JLee

JLee Member

The JJs aren't true KT66s. I think they're actually 6550s.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

True dat. They also sound pretty lame in a jtm45 too.:barf

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The Genelex Gold Lion reissues are great sounding tubes...I use them in my Kelemen Raven amp and the're truly amazing....As much as I like some of JJ's 12AX7's, I highly dislike the tones of their KT66's, 6L6's and 6V6's....

6. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

The "tone", of all tubes is highly subjective. After having been to the JJ shop a couple of times, I can say, that their KT-66, is not a 6L6, nor is it a 6550.

7. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

Well, I'm into the Marshall sound. I would like to have my amp find that perfect blend between modern gain sound & modified Marshall. From what I've heard the KT66's are more full/big sounding than 6L6's & have a more natural midrange, which sounds like it would be up my alley. I want BIG tone, kinda like what it would sound like if someone ripped your balls out of your ass, however I'm not looking for ridiculously over saturated Sunn O))) gain. I'm not really that much of a modern metal player, at all really. I want tone, not compression.

Anyways, I know tubes won't make it a different amp, but I think the proper tube swap will get me right where I want to be. I see BUTTLOADS of potential with this amp. I've jammed it with bands & it sounded great.

I ordered a bias probe; multimeter; 3 high gain JJ 12AX7 ECC83S for the tone valves 1, 2 & 3; a standard JJ 12AX7 ECC83S for valve 4 (effects loop); & a balanced JJ 12AX7 ECC83S for valve 5 (phase inverter). Someone is also sending me a NOS GE 12AX7 & Ruby 12AX7 I'm going to experiment with... Now all I need are those power tubes.

8. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I take it that the KT66's will run hotter & saturate at louder volumes compared to the 6L6GC's, correct?

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I don't have this description listed in my Guitarist's Desk Reference of Tone. :D

10. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

OK, OK, I'll be the first to admit I'm not that great with tech talk :stir

11. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

It's definitely not a KT66 either! Like the Tung-Sol KT66, they used their KT88 bottle and a 6L6 plate structure. Kind of an expensive tube for what it is.