Gold Top LP's w/ pickguards? Really?

gnappi

Am I one of the only people on the planet that think gold top LP's & copies look terrible with pickguards?
Yes, you likely are.

Not putting a PG on a severely flamed top? Maybe I'd go with but I'd put one on and don't give a hoot about someone not seeing a few square inches of flame that I can't see myself unless I play in front of a mirror.

I installed this PG on my Eastman today...

https://ibb.co/WtWgStc

Last edited:

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
I like gold tops, with a pick guard, and the pickup covers on.
If you want it another way that’s fine too, who am I to judge?;)

Merrywoodsman

I was a strictly pick guard on type of guy until I actually got my GT. I anchor my pinky and the pinky squeak was driving me crazy so off it went along with the poker chip for good measure. What the hell, if it was good enough for Duane...

Bucksears

Silver Supporting Member
I'm on the fence.
Some look amazing without (a nice flametop, that blacked-out custom with the aged binding and exposed coil HBs, or the the double-cut goldtop with P90s).
Some look 'right' with ('56 goldtop with P90s, LP Jr, LP Jr Special).

kinmike

Supporting Member
I could go either way but hate exposed pickups. Like a girl with a pretty face and ugly teeth....

Axis29

Supporting Member
Having played Gibsons for years with a pickguard before the Internet suggested I might like them without....

I need the pickguard to anchor my pinky
This is my habit as well.

However, aesthetically, a Gold Top requires a little something to break up the plain gold. It just makes it look complete (they might even require P-90's as well). I truly, truly love mine.

R3deemed

Having played Gibsons for years with a pickguard before the Internet suggested I might like them without....

This is my habit as well.

However, aesthetically, a Gold Top requires a little something to break up the plain gold. It just makes it look complete (they might even require P-90's as well). I truly, truly love mine.
OK, this is corny, but the PG a solid-color LP is like a bowtie on a tuxedo :hide2