gold top supreme

mschafft

Congrats. I know nothing about this beauty but please post some pics in the Bling Thread if you will. Great look gold LP !

Jayzo

it's an arched back with no access covers....has an oversize gold jack plate cover & I guess that's how you get into the electronics. If I ever wanted to change pickups I don't think I could do that myself on this model.

It's spotless has all the case candy, the tag said 1499.00 but I got him down another 150. I wasn't even in the market for a guitar when I walked in there just strings. I couldn't pass that up.......but again I don't know didley about les pals let alone the supreme model.

I ran the SN and it comes up to 22 week of 2007 (Nashville).....gold hardware is not my thing & it even has gold tinted frets.

hope you guys don't tell me it's a lemon.

You got that for $1359.99?

I hate gold hardware, but for that price you could change things out and still have a great guitar way under the price they should be.

Nice find!

ScottySevins

I am just a little concerned with the price. Thats too good to be true. Go to aliexpress.com and you can find a chinese replica of that guitar that you wouldnt be able to tell the diff. for 300$

Dereksslide

I am just a little concerned with the price. Thats too good to be true. Go to aliexpress.com and you can find a chinese replica of that guitar that you wouldnt be able to tell the diff. for 300$
No nibs on the Chinese one that I can see.

Can't see the OPs close enough to tell.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
That sounds like a ridiculously low price for that guitar... Is the fingerboard ebony? It looks a little light in one of the pictures so I can't really tell.

Jayzo

thanks for the input.....it does have the nibs as I have them on my 2000 ES 335 and looked at the quality of the ones on the gold top because I have seen some on friends guitars that were not done very good.

I also went on a few sites that talk about fakes (thanks for the advice on that) and was surprised at how many are out there. Some of the big tells on the fakes are a plastic (smaller jack plate, a non crowned back (with control covers). No nibs, chrome frets & some differences in the headstock & nut. The guitar I put money down did have gold tinted frets & as I'm aware if Gibson's past wood issues I'm sure the board is ebony as I spent time going over the entire guitar looking for some major issue & could see the grain on it. And being a 2007 I think this was before their wood dilemma. And the case is black with white interior, "Gibson USA" in white stenciled on the case (period correct), plus had a bag in the case with the pick guard, mounting hardware, owners manual & a factory inspection checklist slip.

The fake sites also talk about some issue's with the headstock & I plan on stopping in before I pay the balance and having a better look at it, take some pics to compare & I'll post them here.

I have a Tele that I love, and a great ES-335 that other then the 60's neck profile (like em a little bigger) and have always wanted a gold top.

I am not a fan of all the gold hardware (just not my thing) And my dream Les Paul would have P-90's in it (I've played a friends and it's nasty good). So as long as I can ensure it's not a fake by next week I'll be taking it home. Bare knuckle makes a P-90 that mounts in a standard HB cut, so I may chrome it out and put the those in there. But I'm going to play it for awhile before I make any changes.

The only thing I can say about the price is it was 10-15 minutes before closing & I saw the (very young employee) taking it out of the case behind the counter and affixing the tag to it & he said they just took it in that day. He had a few more cases he was going through so maybe he put the wrong price tag on it idk. Knowing a fair amount about guitars in a general way (not LP's) I asked to play it and it plays great even has a larger neck shape then my ES (which is a good thing).

And yes the price did have me saying WTF (I'm thinking neck repair, re paint etc. But The paint is perfect (barely any play wear on it, no holes for the pick guard etc.) and unless a neck repair was done so good that I could not see and or feel it (and I was looking hard) it's a steal. Binding was perfect all over The kid said he knew of no issue's with the guitar but couldn't answer any other questions I had (pick-ups, year etc.) so I put half the cost down. I know the Gibson stamping method somewhat so that's how I came up with it being week 22 of 2007 & my short research later that night that's around the time produced 400 gold top suprems at the Nashville plant

I'll post some detailed pics of the headstock and other parts of the guitar in the next day or 2 as you guys seem to know how to spot the fakes. Thanks for the replies....I myself think it was a mistake by a young man trying to get the new trade ins on the floor just before closing, but I'm not sure, he was in a rush that was obvious.

The only other question you all could help me with is if I put P-90's in it will I have to change anything regarding the pots or the caps? I haven't researched what's in there for pups and they just may be fine, but all that gold is to much for me. Didn't have time to play through more then one amp. But I can say it played fantastic, a very comfortable guitar.

Last edited:

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
The guitar looks real....

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Like others have said that price is too good to be true but if it's as simple as someone putting the wrong tag on it you might get a shock when you pick it up and the price has gone up. Either way it's a great guitar. The gold models were a limited run if I remember correctly. I had a slightly older model from 2005 in cherry sunburst which looked incredible. The pickups are a little harsh and if I kept the guitar I would have swapped them out but I never had an issue with it. I only sold it to help pay for my R9. Right now I'm still looking for another Supreme but this time in black.

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
Hope they haven't repriced it when you go back to pick it up...too bad you couldn't have completed the sale right away!

Like others have said that price is too good to be true but if it's as simple as someone putting the wrong tag on it you might get a shock when you pick it up and the price has gone up. Either way it's a great guitar. The gold models were a limited run if I remember correctly. I had a slightly older model from 2005 in cherry sunburst which looked incredible. The pickups are a little harsh and if I kept the guitar I would have swapped them out but I never had an issue with it. I only sold it to help pay for my R9. Right now I'm still looking for another Supreme but this time in black.

If you're worried about a fake, just call Gibson's customer service and they'll run the serial number for you to confirm the digits with the description. It takes a couple mins over the phone. I've done this with each Gibson I've bought used. Chances are you're just getting a great deal, but if you're worried, take the two minutes to call and confirm.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
That guitar looks real and the price seems realistic considering it is a used USA Gibson guitar. Not really a huge demand for LP Supremes. You are witnessing the hit these guitars take on the used market. If it were a flame top and back it would be worth more.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
I've been watching the market on these and even the solid colored ones are coming in close to $2K used. If you're seeing them sell for less somewhere else please share the location as I really would like to get one in black.

That guitar looks real and the price seems realistic considering it is a used USA Gibson guitar. Not really a huge demand for LP Supremes. You are witnessing the hit these guitars take on the used market. If it were a flame top and back it would be worth more.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I've been watching the market on these and even the solid colored ones are coming in close to $2K used. If you're seeing them sell for less somewhere else please share the location as I really would like to get one in black.

Did they make them in black?

rastus

That is a really good deal-I sold a 2005 Supreme in Alpine White for 2299 in December, and a 2007 in Wine Red (very figured top) for 2499 around September last year. If I recall correctly they did make some in ebony.

Trending Topics