Golden Age Projects Pre-73?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by padavis, Jun 2, 2015.

1. padavis

padavis Member

Is this still a great pre-amp in this price range? I have read many reviews stating that this is a great preamp for a Shure SM7B and that is the mic I am thinking about picking up. Is there a digital solution that interfaces well with GarageBand? Is it one of those things possibly, that if I am feeding it into a computer its not really going to make much of a difference?

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

The mic, preamp, and converters are all important for recording. The Pre73 is a great "bang for the buck" preamp, however, it's not the cleanest one out there. Generally, people prefer it over others because of the please sound of the distortion it makes (often called color), but depending on what you're recording, it may or may not be desirable.

And that's the thing with all this recording gear. What works in one situation may not work so well in another. There's is no "best" anything. And you usually get what you pay for. So as far a Garage Band is concerned, it should work the same with any interface that works with a Mac. But beyond that, I can't recommend any particular interface without knowing your budget and which options you're looking for. If you just want a good, cheap 2 channel converter for the Mac, I'd look at an Apogee Duet. It has some nice, built-in preamps that are pretty transparent, so that would give you a different option other than the colored sound of the Pre73. It also has some decent converters. But like I said, it'll all depend on your budget and what you're trying to do with this stuff.

And keep in mind, gear is nice, but the difference between a pro sounding recording and a bad sounding demo isn't so much the gear, as it is the skill of the person using the gear. The tool, as they say, is only as good as the person wielding it.

3. padavis

padavis Member

Excellent! thanks for the response!

I have had older Apogee stuff. I believe I had an old one. I might try the Duet. I think that would be more useful. Would it have enough of a pre to work with the SM7B? I am reading they need some help by the preamp. Does that mean anything?

4. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

I have the Duet, and have not run into gain issues with any of my mics, whether dynamic, LDC, SDC, or even ribbon. It's a great piece of gear. Very intuitive, and melds seamlessly with GB or Logic.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

If you're singing standard rock/pop/country stuff w/an SM7, any pre will have plenty of gain.

6. padavis

padavis Member

Can you guys tell me... off topic kind of... is the jump to Logic worth it?

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Yes. I think think so.

I tried the GP73, liked it, but preferred the WARM Audio pre. Both highly coloured sounding pres. Apogee Duet and Audient iD22 are both nice interfaces with excellent cleaner pres

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Get a Cloudlifter to up the mic gain, well worth it.

9. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

If you can swing it, get the Rupert Neve 511. At $545 they can't keep them on the shelf. Simple and oh so tasty!