Golds vs. Blues OR something else going on....

I have had my Dr. Z DB4 for a few months now. I bought a head with a 1x12 C Gold cab. I have been waiting for the gold to "break in". Currently I would describe it's tone as a bit harsh with a really pronounced mid peak - so much so that any TS type pedal just sounds really really honky.

I thought maybe that type of pedal is just too mid focused, so I tried an Angry Charlie and a Brown Rabbit (Rat based pedal) and they do an effective job at shelving some of the mids - but not great. Then I started to think - maybe this amp just isn't EQ'd in a fashion that is suitable for me - maybe I should trade for something else?

SO, I was messing around with it today - switching out pedals for the umpteenth time - and I thought - what config does Z hold up as the "ultimate" DB4? What is the "flagship" configuration? Well, the 2x12 combo (with Blues), of course. So I thought, "Great Scott! I've got a 2x12 Blues loaded cab under my Stang Ray! Let's try it!" Yeah - maybe in reality I wasn't really that exuberant.
That cab has lots of hours on it and those blues are well worn in. I hooked it up and - there it was - absolute bliss! Hallelujah! Great, right? Well...

Well, I want to know a couple things:

1. Are the EQs on the Blues and Golds that much different or over time will that Gold mellow to sound like the Blues? I had always thought the Golds were just a higher wattage version of the Blues - and maybe my preconception is wrong.

2. If the EQ's ARE that different, what 12" speaker could I stick in my 1x12 cab to make it sound more like the Blues in my 2x12? I really want a 1x12 for this amp for easy transportation.

3. Could the physical characteristic differences of the 2 cabinets account for the EQ difference I am hearing!

4. Thanks for reading through all of this and I appreciate any advice!

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if the Cream alnico would get you closer to the Blue tone. No personal experience so hopefully someone can chime in.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
There are several good comparisons on YouTube. To me the Blue and Cream are more similar to each other than they are to the Gold. When I had one I thought the Gold was a little more scooped sounding and picky about drive pedals compared to a Blue.

EL84 tubes don't always play nice with alnico speakers. 1x12 cabs usually seem brighter than 2x12 cabs to me as well. I think you might find a warmer speaker more to your liking. I'd suggest a G12H30 but you have too much power for it by itself. Creamback maybe?

hacinador

The Gold is much more modern sounding compared to the Blue, they are VERY different. Blue has more pleasant mids and more natural highs, but its bass is quite weak. The Cream is more like the Blue, it sounds somewhat like the Blue, but with two wet blankets over the cab...

pdf64

Could the physical characteristic differences of the 2 cabinets account for the EQ difference I am hearing!
Yes, I suspect that the key difference you may be hearing is between a 1x12 and 2x12; the latter will always sound bigger / fuller and smoother.
But also, less significantly, my Gold gets to sound better the longer and harder it's used; I suggest to stick with it and re-evaluate after its had 100+ hours of full power overdrive, it sounds better than anything else I've AB'd it against..

Last edited:

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
I think its more what your ears find pleasing. Golds always sound harsh to me. Tried em with numerous amps and various stages of break in always with same results. Down the road they go. Two blues sound awesome to me as well. I have a pair in a 2x12 that have been abused. One has a repaired tear and no bell and the other was bent in shipping and straightened out but still has grooves in the paper. They sound glorious. If a speaker needs 100 plus hours of heavy playing before it sounds right, I have no use for it out of the box.

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
FYI for the OP. The two amps I'm loving my blues with right now are the Zlux and Zwreck. I've also played a Stangray through them. It's no wonder The DB4 loves em. Gotta check out that Z amp in the new year. Have any Scumnico's Mike?

Trending Topics