Gone back to 9's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clapointe, Nov 13, 2005.

1. clapointe

clapointe Member

After years of playing 10's (440 E) on my strat , I've back to 9's ! I've been trying to be a stud and use heavy strings but I tired of fighting and my hands feel so much better now ! I know I'm a wuss.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've used 9-46 for the last 4 years with no apologies.

No gaauge is better than another, I don't care what anyone says.

Good to know I'm not alone.

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i'm 50 years old & grew up playing 9's. in the 80's when lots of guys started moving to 10's i gave them a try, but i didn't like them. i tried the 9.5-44 set & have been using that guage for a few years now.

4. madsr

madsr Member

I use 11's on the strat..10's on the les paul...just what feels right for my fingers..billy gibbons has always used 9's..and he gets pretty damn good tones..so I think the gauge of strings has less to do with tone than everyone generally makes out..

5. innerflame

innerflame Guest

Hey! My first post!

This was the first one up, so I'll give my two cents before I start asking the questions I want answered.

I've been playing live since 1982. I did the whole "large gauge strings = good tone" thing and it's simply not true. Your guitar is going to influence your sound. Your amp is going to influence your sound. Your effects pedals (or lack thereof) are going to influence your sound. Your strings are going to influence your sound.

All of the previous statements are a given and no big surprise to anyone. However...

The fingers you fret with and your pick attack are going to have the most significant impact on your tone. Period. Your fingers and your picking are what separate you from every other guitarist out there. It is your identity.

For the record, I use .009 gauge Ernie Ball Super Slinkys and have since the mid 1990's. My left hand has thanked me ever since.

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

When I was working in constrction and had haands like vice grips I used 11's for a while. I could move them easily but I still prefered 9's

I'm not as comfortable with 11's these days. Good thing I prefer 9's.

7. stark

stark Supporting Member

9's rule. By the way Billy G. uses 7's these days.

Adam Stark

8. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

By all means, use whatever you're comfortable with. I use 11s because I actually find them easier to play. Left hand wise, I don't notice much of a difference if the action is low, however my right hand gets cramped up pretty quick using anything lighter than 10s.

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I suffered some tendonitis earlier this year. I was able to get over when I found out it was related to my computer use. I got the rubber foam pads and mousepad you buy at the office supply places. I switched over to .009-.042 string guages about 2 years ago. I find it less fatiguing on my hands especially gigging. If you that your hands are hurting or feeling fatigued, you may want to consider playing on lighter string guages. You don't to give yourself tendonitis or arthritis from playing a guitar or bass.

Guitar George

10. dave s

dave s Member

Doing the same thing on my guitars. A package of strings ordered online arrived last week. This week, I'll string both gigging guitars with SIT Pure Nickel Powerwounds .009 - .046 string sets.

For me, it's been the area between the knuckles on the top of my hand hurting after gigs. Hope moving down to .009s helps the 'ouch' factor.

dave

11. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I agree. I find I need the bigger guages to feel right, I actually get a sore hand from using 9s. Am currently on 11s (I have a Les Paul) and am considering moving upto 12s (if I could actually find a set in one my local shops that doesn't have a wound 3rd - seems the Dutch don't dig the thick strings). Regarding action, I don't like it too low. I need a bit of "push" to really grab the note.

But whatever works for you, works for you.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

Similar to my experience except that I tend to play the guitar harder with 10's as they are a bit floppier...I used 11's for years and then developed some tendenitous in the middle joint of my first finger on my left hand...I switched to 10's to eliviate some of the tension...the reduced tension actually made my finger worse as I tended to overplay more...plus I had tuning and intonation problems and my strings went dead much quicker with 10's...I'm back to 11's and am just more comfortable with them...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I use 9s but I'm going to play around with some .95s or maybe a mixed bottom heavy set. I can't go as high as 10s on the top though...just never feels right to my fingers.

14. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

This is going against the normal wisdom, but I actually like the tone of 9s better for overdrive tones than 10s, but I play 10s becuase my guiars just feel more solid with the heavier gauge.

15. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've been using 10s on Strats and 11s on the Bakers/Gibson. I'm used to playing opening act slots so we play about 12-14 songs. This weekend I played 4 hours on Friday and my hands were killing me. I'm going to go down one gauge each now!

16. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

this is a suprisingly amiable thread considering the subject

although I find it funny that it's okay for guys to talk about how their light strings sound better than heavy strings but to start a thread stating the opposite will get an overwhelmingly negative response...

i know because i've tried it before. this is not a personal remark to anyone on this thread, just an observation based on experience. if you don't believe me then try it for yourself.

17. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Back in my college - I wanna be Pat Martino, play bebop, and everything else sucks - phase, I would buy a set of 13s and replace the 3 high strings. I can't remember what I used for the 2nd or 3rd strings but I know that I was putting a 17 on for my high E string. Once I came to the realization that I was not going to be Pat Martino, and that I liked rock, funk, reggae, etc. I started using a set of 13s and never had a problem bending strings or anything. But still, I was definately following the "heavier is better" school. Now that I'm trying to find what works best for MY playing and the sound that I am after, I am down to 10s. I have a very light touch, am not much of a string bender, and go for a very legato sound mainly, using lots of slurs, slides, etc. and that guage is working out just fine.

David