Gone With The Wind: the rise & fall of Lynyrd Skynyrd

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't know it existed, I'll have to pick it up.

Thanks for the heads up.

67blackcherry

I had no clue Al Kooper produced the first two albums and didn't realize just how brief was Steve Gaines time with the band.

fierce_carrot

His loss rivals Randy Rhoades; way too soon and not enough material saw the light of day.
As a huge fan of souther rock, I will agree with that 100%

RVZ was preparing to work with Merele Haggard before the crash and he was enamored with The Outlaws, especiall Huey Thomasson's playing.

Enter Steve Gaines..

BigSB

The man could play his arse off and his singing is on par with a Tab Benoit or Lee Roy Parnell. A giant talent. I'm almost glad he didn't have to live through what the industry in the '80s would have tried to do to him.

soulohio

After auditioning such luminaries as Leslie West and Muscle Shoals session whiz Wayne Perkins, the band finally settled on Steve Gaines, the unknown guitarist brother of one of Skynyrd’s backup girls. “I expect we’ll all be in Steve’s shadow one day,” Van Zant boasts. “This kid is a writing and playing fool. Just wait and see. He’s already scared everybody else into playing their best in years.”

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/lynyrd-sknyrd-l-a-times/

vanderkalin

The man could play his arse off and his singing is on par with a Tab Benoit or Lee Roy Parnell. A giant talent. I'm almost glad he didn't have to live through what the industry in the '80s would have tried to do to him.
I don't know man. The 80's gave us Stevie Ray, as well as the rise of acdc and Van Halen. And the Gergia Satellites, who were kick ass if you can get around Keep Your Hands To Yourself. I think he would have been ok.

Last edited:

67blackcherry

The worse part for me?
Skynyrd played Las Vegas just after my 14th birthday, summer '77, but for whatever reason my buddy (whose aunt worked the box office of the Aladdin Theatre and always hooked us up with excellent seats) and I didn't go; a few weeks later the plane crash happened.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
It's there, but it shows up as unavailable all of a sudden.

Trending Topics