Gonna be getting a new amp; thinking of selling all pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I turn thirty at the end of the month and will take this opportunity to get the amp of my dreams made by Jack Anderson. I'm gonna go all out with frills and options, so it will get a bit pricey. I figure I can always buy pedals later, but this will probably be the last amp I let myself buy (until I'm forty maybe!). So the pedals will have to go for funds.

Although it will hurt, I'm actually kinda looking forward to just going guitar-amp for a while... I know I'll probably get back into pedals by year's end, but in all honesty I don't get many opportunities to play lately (with a 7-month old) so the less knobs between me and jamming will feel nice.

I know people occasionally post things in here like "I got rid of my pedals and life is great now!" Well, I know I will miss them, but I'm trying to look on the bright side.

So if you see fewer and fewer posts by me in here, it's mostly because I'm trying to keep the pedal-bug out of my system leading up to the blow-out sale....

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Let's see a pic of this amp!

3. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

is this a "pledge"? :)

4. meterman

meterman Member

If possible I'd hang onto at least some of them until you find out if the amp really delivers. And also your non-dirt pedals might be needed! :D

None of my business really but in this market I'd be careful about getting too deep into the custom options b/c resale just wont' be there. I know you'll never sell it! :) But I've said that many many times in the past but then things change and it's gone....

5. Volontaire

Volontaire Member

Sounds like dirty Harry who's retiring at the end of every movie ;)

6. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The nice thing about Anderson amps is that he tunes them to your exact wants. He's asked me for song samples of the tones I want and he will tune the amp to those sounds. Then when I go to pick it up (he's about four hours away), I get to try it out with a variety of speakers to see what works best for me.

It will have reverb and trem, plus a clean and OD channel (both tuned separately for the sounds I'm after). As far as re-sale, Jack will buy back the amp if I'm not satified with it.

To the pledge comment: HA! Got me there! ;) But, Jack has already started the process, so I'll need the cash to walk away with what he's making me.

7. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

yep, once a dude properly experiences the natural overdrive of a sweet amp, OD pedals can go bye-bye.

Then it's time for boosts and fuzzes to take over........

So, we'll see ya in 3 months.

8. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Cool, congrats on getting a custom amp!
    I've purged pedals a couple of times.
    Ended up buying some a second time, even though the bases are covered with the amp.
    I always have a wah, phase90, some dirt, delay, and even though I don't use it much, the Arion SCH-1. Oh yeah, a looper, too, just to jam with myself. I come up with some great stuff with a looper.

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

The way you were talking I thought this was going to be a $5000 amp. His prices aren't too bad it looks like.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Prices are incredibly reasonable! But alas, I am a school teacher with a baby and stay at home wife. So the $1600 or so is a lot for me.

11. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I would just buy a cool D13 in the emporium and be done with it.

12. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I thought about buying from the emporium a lot, but I really want to give my cash to a local builder. Plus, it's very cool to be a part of the process.

13. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Well.. It better be a keeper for life.

14. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Once in a while, it's not a bad thing to do a purge. half my pedalboard took a bath when I wanted to get a guitar last year - haven't missed 'em TOO much since.

15. meterman

meterman Member

honestly that's not too bad for a custom amp at all! I thought you were talking $3k+. Hope it works out and enjoy the hell out of it!

16. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I understand man. I'm in the same boat. I work, wife's in school, and we got a 2 year old. If I were to buy something that expensive I'd have to sell something first.

17. cribcage

cribcage Member

It really is. I've never had a custom amp built, but I've had two guitars built and the process is a unique experience that's a lot of fun in its own way. I think even if I weren't happy with both guitars (and I am), I would still be glad for the experience. Among other things, it gives you a new perspective on yourself as both a musician and a musical-instrument consumer.

18. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

that just means you're going to have to show up to class with your amp like Jack Black, right?

19. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

chemistry teacher? you could always cook meth. :bonk

20. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Crazy talk I tell you. Change can be good, I offer caution. Will a $1600 amp allow you to play yours or others music better or with more enjoyment?

For my own part many of my own songs that use electric are written with or recorded with effects. Playing others music it is a neccessity.

The effects I use provide me far more variety than any of the amps I have, I have quite a few botique amps. The only time the amps pay for themselves is in live performance and then some can be a challenge. Would I give up my C30 no, that said as long as I had my modulation, delay and drive pedals through almost any amp I sound like me. The pedals change my music far more than any amp I take out.

I feel a strong urge to buy from builders but I know that I will likely sell anything for the right price. Buy used it will keep your money safe.

rob