Gonna miss Tom Petty

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Gold Supporting Member
Back when I was 17 or so, I saw a great show.

Derek Trucks Band opening up for the Allman Brothers Band followed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

What more could you ask for?

By the time Tom came out it was late and he was a little ... smiley ... but him and the band had this authoritative and commanding stage presence, while still seeming friendly and ... approachable? Accessible? Human?

I will miss him. I will especially miss an example of an artist that continued to put out amazing work. That 'Mojo' record is fantastic. I will also miss the importance he put on musical integrity throughout eras where musical integrity was less of a priority for many of his peers, to put it mildly.

teleman1

I saw Tom in 1977. It was the first time I heard of them. I did not care for them and rolled my eyes till the main act was on stage, Be Bop Delux. But, over the years, I developed a liking and became a Wilbury's fan immediately. Going to miss this guy. RIP.

zztomato

Just saw him in the summer at a big festival here in Ottawa. I've seen him a bunch of times but this summer he sounded especially good. The addition of the Webb sisters doing backup vocals made the whole mix come alive even more than it usually does with a Heartbreakers show. I can't believe this has happened to him. Such a huge loss.

Rockinrob86

As it stands he is on life support, but it doesn't sound good. All we have is hope, and this is Tom Petty we're talking about.

I'm afraid it will take death for him to finally get his due - but if you really think about it, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers may be the best rock and roll had to offer.

Trending Topics