Gonna pull the trigger on warm OD, am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tastylicks, Mar 1, 2006.

1. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Hello all,
    Great board, I've been digging thru it all week and this is my first post.
    For years I've been a gear minimalist, relying my fingers/axe/amp and very few fx (read: wah and delay pedal) to craft the sounds I like. This is likely due to my musical upbringing as a bass player first, only taking up guitar 9 years ago.
    My musical tastes (for playing) are certainly due to my bass background--groove/pocket-based music of many genres (reggae-roots and dub, soul, rock, funk, go-go (I went to college in D.C.), jazz, jungle, more). Over the years I have played guitar and bass (live and studio) in various bands both in NYC and LA that span these genres.

I am looking to add/upgrade a few stomps for live and studio use, specifically a mild/subtle transparent OD pedal for adding some edge for both lead and rhythm playing. I have no need (or desire) to be able to push it to huge overdriven or fuzzbox sounds, maybe to a max of a 70's classic rock type distortion. Over the last few days I have tested: Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Menatone Red Snapper, Xotic AC boost, zvex super duper, Tech21 Dual Drive, Maxon OD808.

The Red Snapper is my favorite (though AC boost, the zvex and the dual drive were nice too). It seemed to preserve the sound of my guitar & amp and was not super compressed-sounding (very important for me). I found with the Cut, Bite, Gain and Volume controls I could really ease into different levels of drive a little at a time, and not just cross a threshold into a "wall of distortion" sound. I will be living in this range between cleanboost and moderate/warm OD, and the more range in this tonal area, the better.

So, given my description, are there any other similar pedals I should try before snatching the Red Snapper? I'm pretty sure I will be happy with it, but want to cover all bases before dropping the cash. Should I care about the circuit-board vs ptp wiring scheme?

I played all these with my '98 Am Deluxe Telecaster strung with .012's (3-pickup model, like a Nashville, bridge/neck pups are Fralin tele blues specials, middle is a Fralin strat blues special, 5-way switch with toggle). My amp is a 90's Fender Deville 2x12 (I use only the clean channel--the gain channels suck in my opinion). Any considerations for my other guitar, an 1988 Gibson ES-175 with PAF humbuckers?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

2. el34power

el34power Member

I have not tried what you have but. I would recommend trying a Keeley BD-2 and a Super Chili Picoso. Although i have not tried one, Someone will recommend an RC Booster. All of wich will "sweeten up" things.

3. Craise

Craise Member

TIM or TIMMY do a search...you have to call and talk to the maker Paul C. to get one. Loved by many...but really the snapper is nice too. I think there is a month or two wait for a TIMMY. If you have the scratch....BJF stuff is about the best you can buy. Honey Bee or Little Green Wonder might be up your alley. :)

4. RickB

RickB Member

Check out the Screw Driver at www.skreddypedals.com I just got mine and it is really great at all gain ranges but especially great at the low gain stuff. Plus it works great boosting other dirt pedals.

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Go with the Snapper. One hell of a pedal. BTW I have tried a tim, timmy, and some of BJF's pedals (which are magical, but >250 ??? There are few pedals I have spent that much money on that didnt just turn into looking like a lump of cash on the ground. LOL . Foxrox ZIM or CC2 are a few of the pedals I could think of being worth that kinda cash. Klon is awesome too (especially with a Tele).

6. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

get yourself a fulldrive 2. they are great and very versatile! i think they have a great mild-overdrive setting.

but if ALL you want is mild overdrive, get a fulltone OCD. i love mine! i can hardly turn it off!

7. asdf

asdf Member

Tim/Timmy. Only 100$ (I think) for the Timmy, 150$ for a Tim. Theres a wait, but it's worth it and though I haven't tried some of the ones you're considering from your description I think these would fit perfectly.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd divide ODs into several camps depending on the basic philosophy. The TS camp has an eq which tends to roll off the bass, pump the upper mids and can't really be called transparent. The FDII, Sparkle Drive, Maxon ODs all fit in this camp.

Clean boosts cover another variety of pedals-very transparent but increasing amp drive and volume more than providing any of their own. Doesn't work with a clean amp, but cool if you can run your amp close to distortion then use the pedal to push it over the edge. Not what I'd call warm, though.

The middle ground includes the Klon and the Tim/Timmy-pedals that do introduce their own distortion but allow the EQ and sound of the guitar/amp to shine thru as well. Because both pedals are a bit characteristic as to which amps they like, I'd plan on trying both. Either can be ordered direct and after a 3 month wait resold for a profit if you don't like...

9. trucks

trucks Member

+1 on the Screw Driver. Best pedal I've ever played.

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+2 great!!!

11. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

First off, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and reply. I will definitely return the favor when I can impart some expertise.:D

Regarding the Screw Driver, do I basically have to buy this sight-unseen, or do any shops carry these? I much prefer to give any gear a good run before I lay out the money. I know I could turn around and sell it, perhaps recouping most of my money. Also, I did check out the clips on his site, but when I hear those (and the ones for other pedals on musictoyz and elsewhere) I'm dying to reach in and tweak those knobs.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a Fulltone '69 fuzz. Wow........warm, fat, full, fairly transparent, and cleans up with your guitar vol control. It's my new favorite OD pedal.

13. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

I know that Paul Cochrane (Tim and Timmy) gives you a 5 day full money back trial period. If you don't like the pedal, you can send it back to him and get your money back, though I have no idea why you'd want to send that pedal back, both are amazing.

14. trucks

trucks Member

Send Marc (aka Skreddy) an email. He can answer any questions you have about the Screw Driver and availability. His contact is on the Skreddy home page.

I also have a Timmy. Very nice and an incredible bargain. Great clean boost to wonderful overdrive with a bit of grit with a well thought out and versatile eq. Paul gives a week tryout period.

Best of luck with your search!

15. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I really liked the SIB Varidrive with both a strat and a tele. With my P90 guitar now, I prefer the Zendrive. It's smoother than the Varidrive but It'll get pretty nasty with the P90s.