Gonna start a new tele... bought this:

6ff0_1.JPG

caa0_1.JPG

Dig the thin layer of maple between the flamed koa and the mahogany back:

88a8_1.JPG

I plan on using a set of Lollar 52s I have kicking around the parts bin. As for the neck, I recently bought a highly flamed maple Tele neck, but I am afraid that maple against koa body may look weird. As a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing a koa body mated to a maple neck before... thoughts?

Here's the neck:

837f_3.JPG

Well, looked around the parts bin, and I have the following:

1. pickups: a set of OC Duffs and a set of Lollar 52s. I think I will keep the OC Duffs for the Crook I am thinking about getting.
2. Fender US bridge w/ saddles. Will do the trick.
3. Pots & switch, already wired up.
4. Neck plate and screws.

What I still need:

1. A nut. No idea what I am going to get there... any feedback would be appreciated.
2. knobs. I am thinking I want some wicked knurled ones... or maybe some wooden ones. What do you guys think of that?
3. Tuners. I suppose some Klusons will do... haven't bought tuners in a while. What do you guys think?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Mojocaster, do you sell any partscasters or just keep building them? I'm a huge partscaster fan and appreciate great work when it's done right (I'm a partscaster noob ;)

gkoelling

The neck is stunning and the body looks very nice too.

A set of Klusons and Callaham knobs ought to get you there.

Mojocaster, do you sell any partscasters or just keep building them? I'm a huge partscaster fan and appreciate great work when it's done right (I'm a partscaster noob ;)

I PM'ed you in case the answer would not be appropriate for this forum. Thanks for the question :)

Jon K.

Hi Mojocaster,

Sorry I can't recommend a nut (although I'm thinking about trying a TUSQ nut). But I LOVE that body. I spent some time looking for something like that, but I eventually settled on a maple on mahogany tele body. Mine looks pretty nice, but I have to admit that seeing yours is giving me some pangs of regret! I think that a rosewood board would be an awesome match for that body. Good luck with the build.

Jon

BTW, I just came back from Hawaii. I was dissappointed to find that koa is just as expensive there as it is in the contiguous 48 :(

Dave Yeats

Silver Supporting Member
I owned a similar flame koa/flame maple tele once. I went with gold hardware and a Duncan PhatCat so I didn't have to use a pickguard. Here are some pictures with both flame maple and rosewood necks. I liked the flame maple look just fine.

Koacaster2.jpg
IMG_2896.jpg

I like your body better: Mine was koa top and 5-pc. (!) basswood back.

I like the phat cat in the bridge, but I just bought a 3-P90 tele-shaped guitar, so I think I will stick with a trad tele neck pickup on this one, which will also save me from having to route it.

Although thinking of it, I'd like to stick a mini-hum in there... hmmm food for through!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom