Goo Goo Dolls

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jon Silberman, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The more I delve into this band, the more I dig them. First and foremost, the songs are well-written, music and lyrics. And the guitarist's use of creative alternate tunings can give even relatively simple songs a unique sound.

The 3 songs I've learned and play so far are their 3 best known ones, Name, Iris, and Slide, all from the late '90s, and in my case, all in standard tuning arrangements of my own design. I'm wondering if any of you cover any GGD songs and, if so, what you're covering and whether you're using Rzeznik's tunings or playing them in standard tuning.

2. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I mess around with slide in standard thing. This band is unique for me. I was such a huge fan for years and years when they were under the radar in the late 80s. They started out as as hardcore punk band, then evolved into o and of a college rock, post punk thing similar to the replacements. Its this era that I was really into. I couldn't believe it took them so long to get big. His voice has always been nothing short of amazing.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree, wonderful band.

I learned Name at one time. Haven't thought about them in a long time. Still have some of their discs. Perhaps I should break those out. Thanks for the reminder.

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

we cover those ggd songs in our 90's alt group. i play in the orig tunings. it's a pain, but it sounds so much better. we also crank out long way down.

yeah amazing songwriting skills and to come up with those songs in such tunings just adds to their creativity.

puts me in the mind of tuning for "the rain song"... who comes up with that? years ago it made me start dabbling in similar alt or open tunings.

5. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I had a friend give me a promotional CD copy of Superstar Car Wash before anyone knew who they were. I played that thing into the ground, loved it. If you haven't checked it out yet you should. It's a little more raw and less polished than the stuff that came after it.

6. snouter

snouter Member

No offense but they suck, and worse are annoying.

7. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Wonderful input.

8. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Yes they are pretty dadgum original. I like them.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i saw them at a bar in louisville, ky for their "boy named goo" tour. i was 1 of 20 people there. great show. haven't cared for a lot of their material after that. if you listen to their earlier albums they have more of a raw, edgy feel. later stuff is very pop. their claimed their original name was "f*ckpuppet" if that explains anything.

10. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Dizzy Up The Girl was one of my favorite albums in junior high.... great tunes

11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

didn't they start out on Metal Blade Records? They had a tune on the Twister sound track "Long Way Down" that rocked. Wasn't a fan of the ballad-y stuff.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

No offense at all. I hope you take no offense when you find very few people agree with you.

13. Lef T

Lef T Member

I guess in your musical career,that you've got the chops,writing skills
    and international exposure to not suck as much as they do.
    I'm old enough to be any of those boys grandfather,but I remember hearing "Slide"
    and that was a great catchy tune.
    Those Buffalo kids can be proud of what they created.
    Nobody handed them their success on a platter.

14. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Yah know.. Boy Named Goo was their "losing my religion" moment... a few very good songs but a shift in direction I decided not to follow.

Superstar Carwash was their "Orange"

And if you check out Bitch .. it is worth it.

15. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I like the Goos. Then again, I was on the Replacements train in the 80's.

Reznick has a great voice and a good sense of melody and the good sense to clean up and tidy up his work. It's really hard to not hear the influence of Westerberg though. When I first hearn "Name" I was pretty sure that it was a new Paul Westerberg song.

Superstar Car Wash is quite a good record, as is A Boy Named Goo. That covers album is quite good also.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  16. loudboy

loudboy Member

Solid pop/rock act, but hardly original.

17. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Always love the "no offense" prefacing bit and then go on to offend. Brilliant.

18. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

The poster is full of it today. Check his other posts. A real credit to harmony central.

19. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I cover Slide, but I do it in standard with a Capo on the first fret. Sounds close enough for me to not bother retuning.

I think they had a lot of great songs (Let Love In might be my favorite), but the stuff they're doing now sounds forced to me - like they're trying to imitate someone on the pop charts.

20. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I learned "Name" in Standard tuning, only to have someone show me years later that it was way simpler in an alternate tuning. I still play it in standard.