Good 12" speaker for 6L6s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by omfg51, Feb 16, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

This speaker is in an older Traynor YCV40WR. Before this speaker, I had a Vintage 30 in my amp but it got soaked at an outdoor gig, so this was the replacement I got in a pinch.

I haven't taken it out since as I've been using other amps, but I am digging this amp again and would like to get a nice speaker in there.

What are your suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Anything you disliked about the V30? Otherwise, those are great speakers and it might make sense just to get another. I'm using Steamboat Hemp 100 speakers in both my amps: Mesa Mark III & Fender Deluxe Reverb. Loud, smooth, balanced.

3. omfg51

omfg51 Member

The Vintage 30 was ok, but to me, it really didn't seem like anything special. Honestly, I think I may actually prefer the sound of this speaker to that one, but I'd like to try something else.

4. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I wouldn't think that a single 30-watt speaker (the G12L-30) would last long in a 6L6 amp which normally put out around 40 watts or so. The Vintage 30 at least handles 65 watts.

I'm guessing the Traynor is a 40-watt amp. In that case I'd want at least a 65-watt speaker. I just blew a few 40-watt alnico speakers (totaling 80 watts) in a 40-watt Pro Reverb so I'm going back to 65-watt ceramics.

If you want British style speakers there's the Creamback, and both Weber and Scumnico offer nice 65-watt versions.

5. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

WGS G12C/S smooth cone. Full sounding and softens the top end slightly without dulling it. Still has plenty of articulation.

6. Moot

Moot Member

I'm a big fan of the Creamback H. I think it's Celestion's best all-rounder.