• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good 12" speaker for small closed back Bugera 112 cab?

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I've got an interesting thing happening with two cabs with identical speakers in them.

I have one of those Bugera 112 cabs. It's small, closed back. It's got a Texas Heat I put in it.
I've also got a Seismic oversized partially open back 112 cab, also with a Texas Heat.

The Seismic cab sounds awesome. Rich, detailed, resonant, clear.
The Bugera sounds way less interesting by comparison. Less highs, less lows, less resonance, less everything. It's just sort of no fun to listen to compared to the Seismic. And I've had the speaker that's in the Bugera in the Seismic before, and I know it's not that the Texas Heat is a bad speaker, but maybe just not a good fit in the Bugera.

Is this small closed back cab just a bad design, or is there a speaker I could put in it that might suit it a little better?

musicman1

Kind of like opening a Pandora’s drawer but after all the behringer is a sub 200 dollar cabinet. It’s just not going to sound as good as the seismic will. Probably not worth going down the wormhole of finding another speaker.

Last edited:

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Build another back for the Bugera with a open8ng…or just cut a hole in the stock back panel.

I had thought about that. I think I will. And to the poster above, yeah, not worth $$$ on speakers for that Bugera cab when it’s becoming obvious the cab itself is the weak point.

You can make cross cuts vertical and horizontal for the opening, pull the tolex back, cut the hole, and then reglue the tolex…after removing some of it.
Or….work up another panel from a good piece of birch marine plywood???

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I suddenly really like this cab. Still have half the back removed. My oversized cab was sounding a little too flubby for me lately. I’ve been craving the tighter gain. The little Bugera cab is just way more focused and articulate. Both still have a Texas Heat. Glad I kept the little guy around. All things have their place and time.
I’m actually now considering a V30 for the oversized cab to maybe bring a little tighter sound to it.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I suddenly really like this cab. Still have half the back removed. My oversized cab was sounding a little too flubby for me lately. I’ve been craving the tighter gain. The little Bugera cab is just way more focused and articulate. Both still have a Texas Heat. Glad I kept the little guy around. All things have their place and time.
I’m actually now considering a V30 for the oversized cab to maybe bring a little tighter sound to it.

IMHO, big open back cabs for neck and/or middle pickups and huge tone through extended bass. Smaller cabs for bridge humbuckers, higher gain and truncated (perceived as tight) bass.

Try them together, the cab size differences should make for some interesting complexities.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO, big open back cabs for neck and/or middle pickups and huge tone through extended bass. Smaller cabs for bridge humbuckers, higher gain and truncated (perceived as tight) bass.

Try them together, the cab size differences should make for some interesting complexities.

I have played them together a bunch. The main issue I have is the little cab is louder than the big one for some reason. But things do sound bigger and fuller with both going for obvious reasons.

Relatively dead cabs could favour from rather full sounding speakers. Not for nought I got the WGS Liberator 80 for my MDF cab, for more lows and lower mids.

The tricky bit is finding out where frequency-wise the cab falls short and then finding a speaker that remedies this. Too much magnet in a small cab probably is not a good idea, particularly if closed back.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom