Good 12" Speakers for Vintage Fender Bass Rig

Beam Tetrode

I have a old Fender Showman head (~85 Watts at 4 Ohms) with an empty Bassman 2x12 cab. I'd like to use this rig for bass guitar and Rhodes piano. I'm interested in vintage tube Fender/Ampeg tones at low-medium volume levels. What speakers should I load the cab with?

Thanks!

HandOfTheHost

If it were me, I would look for 12" bass speakers, woofers, but not the car stereo type. Another option I'd consider would be a 12" woofer and a 12" guitar speaker, possibly with a crossover.

Troser

I have a old Fender Showman head (~85 Watts at 4 Ohms) with an empty Bassman 2x12 cab. I'd like to use this rig for bass guitar and Rhodes piano. I'm interested in vintage tube Fender/Ampeg tones at low-medium volume levels. What speakers should I load the cab with?

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd look for a vintage (or not) pair of JBL's. They were a factory offering in that cab, and are excellent speakers that will hold up to both low keys and bass.

HandOfTheHost

Found this on ebay:

"JBL and Electro Voice speakers were both made in the United States. The Electro Voice speakers are still available, but the JBL's are no longer being made. Fortunately, Eminence makes a speaker called the "Commonwealth," which is an excellent copy of the JBL e120 (12") and e130 (15") speakers (those are the ceramic magnet versions of the d120 and d130 speakers). Weber also makes a speaker called the "California," that sounds similar to a JBL, and another called the "Michigan," that sounds similar to the Electro Voice. If you want bullet proof reliability at high volume, you cannot go wrong with a JBL or EV speaker. They weigh a ton but they can handle a lot of power. Also, they handle bass sounds well and produce a smooth treble tone that is especially well suited for guitars with humbuckers, like the Gibson Les Paul and Es-335.
Another interesting variant of the JBL / EV sound is provided by the Eminence line of woofers, including the lower powered Alpha and Beta speakers, and the high powered Delta (the Delta Pro 12A is marketed as similar to an EV 12L). Jazz amplifiers like Polytone and Evans (and Raezer's Edge cabinets) use Eminence woofers for a smooth solid state jazz tone. The Alpha's have better sensitivity and sound like the old Polytone speakers, while the Delta's have a more modern tone with a strong bass response that will not disort, even at high volume."

Dan-o

www.earcandycabs.com... check out their in house Green Machine Speakers- custom made & sensibly priced...they also carry the Eminence line...shoot an e-mail to Tim the owner for some free advice...he'll get back to ya quick & he builds the best 2 x 12 Cab in the USA: The legendary BUZZBOMB/BASSBOMB:dude

Trending Topics

Top Bottom