Good 2 or 3 channel amps with solo boost (nice cleans are a must)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Feb 23, 2015.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

My other guitarist is looking for an amp to trade his Allan Encore head for... He's looking for something with 2 or 3 channels AND a solo boost. Good cleans are the #1 requirement, since we are more of a "country" band and a good crunch channel is 2nd on the list. But the solo boost is what's killing him in his search... Other than Mesa, there's not much out there? He doesn't want to use pedals, I've ran that by him already. **By solo boost, I mean a pure volume boost that doesn't change the tone or gain, not a gain boost or something that pushes the preamp**

I've listed all the Mesa amps to him and he's using my Mark V, but it's a little out of his budget on that trade (and mine isn't going anywhere ;) ).

I'd like him to try a Lonestar and a Roadster, to see what he likes best.... But other than those 2 (Mesa) amps, what other amps are out there that would be in that trade value range (Probably $1000-$1300)? Preferably a head? Must be at least 30wts or more, preferably 50wts or more.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

He should try a Mark III and using the GEQ as a solo boost. Set it flat, or tweak it slightly.

3. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Fender Supersonic 22 with a Boss EQ pedal sitting on top of the amp in-the-loop, and always "on". Set it's volume slider to a higher level of volume (and it freq. sliders to taste) and use the SS22's included footswitch to activate/deactivate the loop. Set the 'burn' channel to your taste of crunch. This way of boosting the amp works for both channels and it's between the preamp tubes and power tubes so as not to cause significant distortion.

I really like this setup.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Any amp with an effects loop with a volume pedal in it.

Egnater Renegade has two master volumes that you can switch between.

Marshall JVMs have a similar kind of dual master thing IIRC.

5. Babow2

Babow2 Silver Supporting Member

Try the Egnater tweaker 40. Two channels with great cleans. Add a volume/boost. I've got one and dig it.

6. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

I used to look for that kind of amp. These days I just use an Unleash to solo boost any 2 channel amp.

8. jrjones

jrjones Member

I literally opened this thread to say a mark V

9. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

Bogner goldfinger is a 2 channel monster. 2 channels 1 clean with bright switches and the other one is the gain channel (plexi and jcm 800 mode). Both channels have independant boost. The clean channel boost is pure volume and the gain channel boost is more of a gain boost. 2 effect loops, footswitchable spring reverb and can also be switch from 45, 30, 22 and 15 watts. Defintaly the best clean channel i've ever played. I used to have a mesa mark v before. The bogner has better cleans and overdriven sound. Of course the mesa has much More gain and sound more modern on channel 3. It really depends of what you looking for. The bogner is a vintage voiced amp who works well with pedals (great with fuzzes) and the mesa is more of a all in one amp that has a great cleans channel and great high gain sound for leads. Channel 2 is boring IMO. Hard to dial in great sounds.

10. bdubbs

bdubbs Member

Mark V or JVM I have both

11. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

He's using my Mark V and loves it, but not sure he'll find one under $1300?

12. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

13. Lef T

Lef T Member

Yes the 5.50+

14. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

I second this on the cleans . I have the GF90 and actually like channel 2 but its always a matter of personal preference. It wont do metal but does everything else from mildly crunchy through to AC/DC with a nice transarency. Cheaper (and way lighter !) alternative is a Carvin Legacy 3 which has IMO comparable cleans to the Bogner though it is definitely "darker" (fixable with a treble boost or graphic EQ if you want a bit more sparkle)

15. custom53

custom53 Member

Try a used JCM2000 TSL.. They are fairly cheap and can do everything you asked about.

16. Omega

Omega Member

Try a Bogner Ecstacy 101B. If you want a clean boost, run a jumper cable in the effects loop and turn it on. If you want a dirty boost, the channels have a boost switch. Ch 1 has one and Ch 2/3 share one.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Rivera Quina or Fandango. Solo boost on each channel. Some will tell you it's too much boost, I know what they mean but it's a non issue.

The boost also decreases when you add more preamp gain, it's a input level dependent boost. The upside with Rivera or Mesa stuff is you get a Fender sound and a Marshall sound, not a similar to Fender/Mesa sound. It's more true to the concept of Fender cleans/Marshall lead.

18. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I know you've tired to talk him out of it already, but It would be a shame to dump the Allen for some POS channel switcher. I'd loan him a boost and OD and try to talk him into keeping the Allen. With the Allen you can do a lot with just one or two pedals. Channel switchers are always more of a compromise tone wise, unless you like those tones and then you might still want to add pedals to dial it in.:dunno

19. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

VVT X-40...two channels with boost on each channel. Dual master volume, effects loop, 6L6 powered head in a small footprint chassis. Nice cleans and dumbly meets Marshall hi gain...really gain at 50%/12:00 is all I need.

20. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Splawn Super Sport 22 watts, $1300, with channel switching and boost, and they make a 40 watt version that is a tad more flexible, but it's $1800 for the head.

MY choice would be a 3rd Power British Dream, American Dream, or Dream Weaver, and just put a foot toy in front of it.