GOOD 5bway switches, what to get?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HHB, Mar 5, 2008.

1. HHB

HHB Member

I'm sick of these cheap switches that break and get weird, whats the rolls royce of 5 way strat switches?

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I'd like to know what people think about this as well. I'm going to be getting a traditional 5-way for my CU22 Soapy and I want it to be the best possible.

-Austin

3. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

When I went to get my wiring job done on my Strat here in Nashville, the store tech told me that the Dimarzio switches were pretty good. Now, I don't know if there are any better options (seems like a pretty small piece of the overall picture, you know), but it feels way better than the original 5 way did. Very solid. I seriously doubt it would ever break under normal usage.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

don't know about "rolls royce", but CRL is certainly the, um...well, there's not a car analogy that works here. a CRL will last forever, unlike any car i can think of. (it's the "fender strat" of switches, how's that? fender strats came with them 50 years ago, and most of them are still working now.)

http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-switches-ep-0076-000,Product.asp

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

CRL or Oakley. CRL is much easier to find.

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75 Member

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I've had a 5 way Schaller Superswitch in my Tele for 31 years. I had to clean it once with a shot of Deoxit but it has worked flawlessly since then. Mine is made in Germany.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you're lucky, as i've seen many of those switches fall apart when the central screw that the whole thing pivots on falls out or strips (most recently on a brand-new taylor t-5).
    [​IMG]
    unless your 31-year-old switch is different from this?

9. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I dunno, I'll have to take a look at it. All I know is that its a Schaller Super Switch Made In Germany. I thought about replacing it last year because it had gotten almost impossible to move. Very tight. One shot of deoxit and its smooth like buttah. I can't say anything bad about CTS though. They've worked long and hard i nmany vintage Fenders.

10. royd

royd Member

I just put a Schaller megaswitch in a partscaster and love it. Obiously I can't speak to longevity yet, but it feels great and does just what I wanted it to do.