good acoustic pickup

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by wattsup32, Sep 13, 2006.

1. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

i'd like to install a pickup in my hummingbird. i don't want a soundhole pickup. so, given that condition, which pickup do you prefer and why? i don't really care about cost, so just tell me what you like best if you'd be so kind.

thanks in advance. your advice is greatly appreciated.

2. BruceL

BruceL Member

I have both the K&K trinity system in two guitars and K&K pure western in one.

I find the sound of the trinity a little rounder then the pure western however at louder stage volumes I have to turn down the on board mic of the trinity to reduce feedback. Knowing that if I was to do it over I probably would have just done the pure western. If feedback is not an issue the trinity sounds very nice.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What preamp are you using to blend the two?

4. BruceL

BruceL Member

The on board preamp...

5. Den

Den Member

I'm very happy with the Baggs iMix in my Goodall. It's a no-cut installation with a tiny onboard preamp and volume & blend controls in the edge of the soundhole. The ability to blend the element and Ibeam pickups give great tone shaping and control over sustability to feedback. Definitly worth a look. James Goodall feels this set-up most accurately amplifies the natural acoustic tone and I have no arguement with that at all.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have the Baggs Element and IT was pretty easy to install, no feedback, has on board preamp with volume control and it actually sounds a bit like my guitar (lol) it was only about 100 bucks you would never know it was there and it is super simple to use, just plug and play.

I needed something that would laow me to play open mic's without have to worry about feedback or tone shaping issues and it totaly fits the bill, If you need more tone shapping an Baggs offers a great outboard preamp with a notch filter.

I wanted to try the Imix, I had the Ibeam it sounded amazing but too much feedback for purposes. I think the Imix would have helped i could have blended it better.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have a K&K Ultra Pure mini Westen in my Tacoma DM18 and love it...

I just took a chance on the recommendation from the guy who sold me my Larrivee and had a AER AK15 + (same guys that make the amps) installed my Larrivee OM -03R and am really liking this pu a lot...it also didn't break the bank to have it installed...

its a dual source piezo/mic setup with an internal preamp and volumn and blend control...

so far I can say that it's very dynamic and doesn't feedback or distort...both pickups are voiced so that you can use them alone or together...

the piezo adds a nice bit of compression for strumming in a band situation and the mic is a bit rounder for solo performances...adding a bit of piezo to the rounder sounding more dynamic mic pu is just heavenly...

my guitar sounds like my guitar only louder...I'm very impressed thus far...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i second the K&K gear. they're in all my guitars, and cant say enough. heck, despite being passive, they'll shoot a clear enough signal thru 20 ft. of cord! i run mine straight into my demeter tube di, and i'm good to go.

if you're in a higher volume band situation, the guy i just toured w/ was using a baggs element in his mayes small body, which sounded terrific, too. seemed to have a warmer rounder sound than most piezo's i've heard, and we were L O U D loud.

9. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

I love the passive K&K pickups. I have a pure western in my Taylor, and I'm planning on putting a mini in Martin very shortly. Very mellow, uncompressed tone compared to any sort of compression pickup (i.e. under the saddle pickups).

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have the Matrix transducer/preamp by Fishman in my 59' Martin as it was recommended by my luthier-he works with some fairly hi-profile people and said that they seem to like it...it works nicely and is clear sounding to my ear.

11. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Another vote for K&K. Love mine, it's so natural sounding.

12. Gazza

Gazza Member

I've had the K&K mini pure western in both a Goodall and Martin. Greatest thing to date!

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

The Baggs I-Beam is a good pickup in the right guitar. It has a ot of bottom end which you can always EQ out, but you can't add to a pickup that doesn't respond well to these frequencies. The I-Beam does tend to feedback at band volumes though.

The combination of an I-Beam and a Baggs M1 can be pretty amazing and Baggs infact sells this combo with a single preamp and blender circuit. You can run the M1 only through the monitors and theh pair through the mains and you'll have great tone without feedback concerns.

I have an M1A alone in the J45 my kids have conned me out of and it sounds surprisingly good. No, it doesn't sound like a mic'd acoustic, but it is musical and works well in the mix. The ivory finish looks great against the tobacco burst as well.

14. PHLOW

PHLOW Member

The K&K bridge plate pickup is fantastic imho. Also like the B-Band product-the combo of the under saddle and bridge plate transducer covers a lot of ground to dial in what you want to hear.

15. Barron Wesley

Barron Wesley Member

I use the B-band UST in my Martin D. I'm leaning more towards this pickup instead of the Fishman Matrix. Seems to have a better response.

16. PunkyBub

PunkyBub Member

Another vote for the K&K line. I have the mini pure western pickups in my acoustics (Guild, Martin) and like 'em a lot. They sound better in some than others, but overall they're very natural sounding and resistant to feedback. I use mine with a basic K&K Pure preamp. I a/b'd it w/my L.R.Baggs ParaDI and while the Baggs has more control over tone, the Pure was much more transparent and a better match for the K&K pup's.

17. goodwillsteve

goodwillsteve Member

I really enjoy my B-Band A1N preamp with the AST they make. Very hot too. $120 or so plus whatever it is to have a tech install it.

18. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have K&K Pure Westerns in both of my 6-string steel-string guitars. It is the best sounding acoustic pickup I've used. Gotta use some kind of a preamp with it though - even if it's just a good direct box.

--chiba